Google Blogoscoped

Forum

illegal torrents

eli joseph [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, November 26, 2008
15 years ago3,516 views

i sell a dvd through amazon and recently i noticed that when i google the name of the dvd a few torrents sights where you can download for free pop up. this has significantly reduced my sales in the last month!

is there anything i can do about this?

thanks,
eli

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Nope.

And they're probably not affecting sales. People who buy through Amazon, usually search Amazon from my experience.

There are torrents for everything.

eli joseph [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

there is nothing legal that i can do?
im the only one that has permission to sell this particular dvd

thanks,
eli

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Actually, there is something Google offers you to do, provided it's copyright infringing indeed:

"Digital Millennium Copyright Act – Infringement Notification for Web Search and all other products"
http://www.google.com/dmca.html

But once it's out there it's probably not the right approch to "kill the messenger" (Google doesn't host those torrents after all). Nor, in the case of torrents, is there a single host in the first place I guess...

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Not just torrents, all kinds of networks, including BitTorrent, Direct Connect, eD2k, Gnutella, FastTrack and sometimes Rapidshare:)

15 years ago #

Plus, Google is trying to show the most relevant info, and to lots of people, the info they want are the location of torrents.

You could take legal action like you said, but first take a look here http://thepiratebay.org/legal

There are too many different laws in different countries for you to win, and you would have to go up against huge legal teams. In ireland for example, downloading copyrighted material is perfectly legal, provided you aren't selling or distributing it.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> "Digital Millennium Copyright Act – Infringement Notification
> for Web Search and all other products"

The torrent site isn't hosting your copyright content, it's just a tracker, so I don't think the DMCA applies here.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I have an idea!

Use CC-BY-SA and then make money by micropatronage! Woooooo!

Even better, in addition to that, use a torrent site (like The Pirate Bay) to distribute the video, and get people to support it =O

15 years ago #

+1 Danny

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I should just patent that idea and then sue everyone for pirating it XD

People are starting to get the idea though... Nine Inch Nails did great except for using BY-NC-SA instead of just BY-SA

Brad Sucks [http://www.bradsucks.net/] does an amazing job using micropatronage and CC-BY-SA and even goes the extra mile by making the source of all the music available.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!