Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Orkut adds albums (still sucks)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 27, 2008
15 years ago4,868 views

Yep, Orkut still didn't have albums until now, and it only recently added chat, events, and some fail wall-to-wall like feature called "conversations for scraps". Sure, you can now manage albums, and even tag people, just like in Facebook, but why didn't they just figure out a smart way to integrate with picasa web albums so that you'd get all the features from that? Why do they also not realize that the orkut's design is still hideous no matter how many features they dump onto it? Hopefully they're planning on another (hopefully good) design update.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I spat out my Dr. Pepper on the screen when i read the thread title.

You're too damn funny, but I agree, Orkut is like Googles Freak Child.

PS. You owe me a new monitor.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

*sigh*
It's sad that Orkut has so much potential, if even for no other reason than being owned by Google, yet it's still a pile of crap! I'd love to be able to just use Orkut since it uses my Google (Gmail) account and could integrate with everything, but i can't because nobody uses it and it sucks!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Agreed. It would be good if Google could come with a decent social network.

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

Don't say that about Orkut. Here in Brazil we love Orkut, your connections, conversations, communities.

"It would be good if Google could come with a decent social network."

You like Facebook or MySpace? We don't. These social networks need to improve more to be really social like Orkut.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Here's a thought,
How come they decided to shutdown Lively, but not Orkut.
I think Orkut is a complete failure as a comparison to Google Lively.

There are some people at Google who need to take a closer look at all Google apps and programs.

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

"I think Orkut is a complete failure as a comparison to Google Lively."

Go to www.alexa.com
Add orkut.com.br
Add lively.com

and... really, a complete failure in Brazil and India.

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

"There are some people at Google who need to take a closer look at all Google apps and programs"

You need to take a closer look and "search" more. :)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

David, Orkut is far more popular than Lively ever was. Just because you don't use a service doesn't mean nobody else does.

> Go to www.alexa.com

I agree with you but relying on Alexa to prove this isn't ideal.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<<You like Facebook or MySpace? We don't. These social networks need to improve more to be really social like Orkut. >>
Orly? So why does Orkut keep adding Facebook features?

[put at-character here]David, Tony
I agree that Orkut shouldn't be shut down. It has a huge user base that you flip out if it were shut down. It needs a complete redesign, perhaps a new name too (seriously...Orkut?).

<<You need to take a closer look and "search" more. :)>>
lolwut?

I think a lot of Orkut fans are fans just because everyone uses it, not because they actually think that the service is superior. This is certainly true of MySpace users and seems to becoming true with Facebook users as well. Facebook has a very nice design (although i think Google could really do better if only they wanted to!) but has a lot of other issues that come and go and bother everyone but nobody talks about.

The one thing that's happened for long enough and to most FB users is chat telling you that the other person has left when they haven't. This is only one of many issues though. People flocked to Facebook because of it's superior design, but now that it has lost it's shine, Google really could make Orkut a better service that would attract everyone.

15 years ago #

I love the name orkut. The two thinks I like

*Name
*Colour Scheme

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Personaly out of the Social Networking Sites I have experiance with (Bebo, Myspace, Facebook, Orkut, Myyearbook) I feel that Facebook is the best in term of it's features and looks.

I wouldn't say that Orkut is bad, it just dosn't have anything unique or a large UK fanbase. And to be honest I feel it should be more Googley.... although some people may be put off by that :(

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<<I love the name orkut. The two thinks I like

*Name
*Colour Scheme>>
I actually don't mind the name Orkut, just as i don't mind the name Picasa, but i don't think they are very Googley. As for the color scheme, i think Facebook's is much nicer looking (and more Googley).

<<I feel that Facebook is the best in term of it's features and looks.

I wouldn't say that Orkut is bad, it just dosn't have anything unique or a large UK fanbase. And to be honest I feel it should be more Googley.... although some people may be put off by that :(>>

Well, you said it! Facebook is better in terms of features and looks. Google must exceed that to have an appeal for people to make the switch. Facebook didn't use to have the userbase it does now, but it attracted people because it was significantly better than the other options. Orkut doesn't have to be awful for us to say it sucks, it just has to be bad enough for the average Facebook or MySpace or WhatEver user to say "ew, wtf is this ugly thing?" and leave. That's the only reaction i've ever seen from anybody.

P.S. Ohlookanotherfeature*sigh*
http://en.blog.orkut.com/2008/11/share-photographic-wealth-now-you-can.html

Fábio [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I read all the comments but anyone really know why Orkut is a sucess in Brazil and India.

People here doesn't care about updates, mini-feeds or beauty; brazilians users want to say "hello", add image to friend profile, add YouTube vídeo, show photos, etc... users here like simple actions.

Here, Facebook and MySpace are very complicated, do no offer this simple aspects like Orkut interface.

Orkut isn't ugly.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Facebook may be slightly more complicated, but why can't Google make Orkut simple and functional? Doesn't that just sound....Googley?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]DPic (quoting Fabio):

<< People here doesn't care about updates, mini-feeds or beauty; brazilians users want to say "hello", add image to friend profile, add YouTube vídeo, show photos, etc... users here like simple actions.

Here, Facebook and MySpace are very complicated, do no offer this simple aspects like Orkut interface. >>

Apparently, Brazilian think that orkut is simple and useful. It's clear that orkut's latest additions won't bring new users from the US or other countries, but they might alienate existing users.

Google's social efforts will be visibile in iGoogle, Google profiles, Friend Connect, OpenSocial. Instead of creating a new social network, they want to bring social features to existing services.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

... and orkut is probably very useful to test this integration.

15 years ago #

<<Instead of creating a new social network, they want to bring social features to existing services.>>

Sounds like Socialstream?

But social stream was to other social networks, not other services, was it? Is that what Friend Connect is the result of?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Yes, Google wants everything to be more social, but that does not eliminate the need for a central dedicated social network like Orkut. Otherwise, they would not even be working on it. Also, there is n reason why Orkut can't have all these features while staying simple and appealing to users here, there, and everywhere.

Socialstream is not what it was hyped up t be. It was just a lame design update

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!