Google Reader got a facelifting

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, December 4, 2008
15 years ago6,199 views

http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2008/12/square-is-new-round.html

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Just got the new look. Looks more professional and Less Googley :(

I normaly have the sidebar hidden, so it won't make much difference to me.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Kind of liked the old design better, even though the UI is better now...

Gerrit [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I really don't get why the new Reader design doesn't share ui elements and the color palette with the new gmail default theme.
Otherwise it is OK.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

So bright! It hurts my eyes! Yargh!
(it's the same.. but anyhow, I'm thinking about using other feed reader -if I find something better-)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

NONONO!!!

Square is not the new round!!!

It looks horrible and Web 1.0 and Ugly and OMG I have never felt so badly about something like this before!

No wonder orkut sucks! How did this make it our the door, it doesn't fir in with the other Google applications anymore.

I hope Gmail, Calendar etc. don't go like this

:'(

What will Danny have to say about this?

MZaza [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I hate it, it's very ugly....

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<<What will Danny have to say about this?>>
...i like it
=O

<<Looks more professional and Less Googley >>
I think it looks more both

<<So bright! It hurts my eyes! Yargh!>>
So how do you feel about the Google homepage?

<<Square is not the new round!!!>>
The new design uses space much more efficiently. It looks much cleaner. Color is used to emphasize certain things very well.

Perhaps it isn't perfect, but i do like the UI better. Perhaps it will be like the new Facebook design which everyone hated at first but grew to like. I'm sure Google will make improvements and changes where necessary. All-in-all, i don't see this as a huge change. It's not bad, and it's not incredible. I like it, but that doesn't seem to be the popular opinion around here =]

Notice how Facebook uses much less rounded corners and a lot more bright white for the background compared to Orkut? Anyways, I don't think this design update can be compared with the atrocity that is Orkut.

15 years ago #

D-D-Danny? Is that really you?

:P

15 years ago #

Actually, after using it, I prefer it, It looks terrible in the pics on Google's blogs. I shouldn't judge before I use I guess...

Though, the Add Subscription button is not inkeeping with google's usual buttons...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Also, i get the old reader when using http but the new reader when using https

Could this be related to having gmail set to always use https or having offline sync enabled for reader? Anyone else have that issue?

MZaza [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I started to like it too, I guess it's not that bad.
But what I don't like is the add subscription button at the top left. I can't explain well, but because the background of Home is blue and at this part it's not...

Kevin P. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Another change, another bug introduced.

1. Search your Google Reader feeds.

2. Click a title in the search results to bring the item up in expanded view.

3. Click "Email" at the bottom of the item.

Notice that the Send and Cancel buttons are missing.

Workaround: In the search results listing, click Expanded in the "Show:" area on the right.

I've noticed more and more bugs cropping up in Google services (in most cases *after* they've come out of perpetual beta). They really need to focus on quality control and testing. Users will eventually lose confidence in Google if this keeps up.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Another bug:
On Chrome, I can't open the drop-down menu of feeds from the search field. When I go down, it closes the menu (I'm obliged to type a keyword to select the right feed).

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

There's a similar bug in Fx 3.0: you can't use the scrollbar to select a feed because the drop-down closes.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Uglier / lighter simpler & faster

Kevin P. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I've got the search drop-down scrollbar problem on Chrome too, but I can still use the mouse wheel to scroll down.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!