Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What Do You Dislike About Google Chrome?  (View post)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, December 17, 2008
15 years ago29,157 views

I've been using it as my default browser at home since the first release. I use the official releases rather than the dev channel or Chromium builds. The recent non-beta release is a great improvement (they finally fixed my issue when scrolling up using my mouse wheel!) but here's what I still get frustrated about:

* No "Recently Closed Tab" restore option (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+T in Firefox).

* The text editing interface seems to behave a little weirdly when using Ctrl+cursor keys to move between words. Most UIs will always move the start of the word but Chrome seems to sometimes go to the end of the previous word. It also seems to ignore blank spaces at the end of lines in textareas, which affects me all the time when I'm typing emails, blog comments, etc.

* It sometimes incorrectly reports that form data has been submitted for some pages when clicking the "Back" button. (And, like Matt says, "Chrome doesn’t recover submitted form data as well as Firefox if you have to click the back button.")

* The scroll speed is *way* too aggressive. I move my mouse wheel one notch and the page moves almost the full height of the screen. This kinda makes sense but it's not how other applications behave, so it's requiring me to modify my behavior. I've even found myself using the scrollbar more often to avoid this which is annoying.

* Closing the final tab closes the browser. I'd like it to behave like Firefox so that closing the final tab simply closes the web page and creates a blank tab.

I'm sure there are more things too but those are the ones I can remember!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<< No "Recently Closed Tab" restore option (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+T in Firefox). >>

The same shortcut works in Chrome too.

imma [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

Occasionally, when things are running slow, i click on a tab and then move my mouse away & the tab gets peeled away
I'd also rather it stored the history & auto complete on/with my google/gmail account rather than on my local machine
Oh, and i miss adblock

ann wye [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Horrible

Barry Hunter [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

The lack of a title bar.

I often have many tabs open, so the 'What...' title on the tab is useless. I am forgetful so when browsing forums etc have already forgotten the thread title so need to scroll to the top of the page to find the title again.

I notice you can hover over the tab to get the title, but I always forget about that, there is a bit of blank blue space above the tabs that could contain the title in small lettering.

Oh and no Google Toolbar ;) (really like the Google Spell checker, and the 'Up' button is very handy too)

Cha Mou [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

No Full Screen Mode :-(

dpi [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

The two features I really miss:

* tags for bookmarks as in Firefox 3

* a way to easily choose the spell check language or to have it automatically detected (like for example with the Quick Locale Switcher extension for Firefox)

15 years ago #

> The same shortcut works in Chrome too.

Well, I did not know that. I thought I tried it and it didn't work. Perhaps that was an earlier release and I've just not tried it since...?

Jyaif [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

"Only" one thing is missing for me: extensions.

The most important extensions: mouse gestures, and bookmark synchronisation.

aticatac [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

What's lacking in Google Chrome:
* No Full screen mode
* Some of the things that the addon TabMixPlus got in Firefox, like when closing a tab I want to active the last active tab, when using CTRL-TAB I want to navigate tabs in the most recently used order
* Ad-block
* Bookmark synchronisation
* Extensions

Ervin [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Not that I dislike Chrome's Omnibox but the Firefox' Smart Location Bar is far more superior and no way I would part from it:
   – searching within page titles and in parts of the URL
   – labeling
   – bookmarks (with keywords) and history
   – priorizing matches by visit frequency

Siddhartha Reddy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

No smooth scrolling, everything seems so rough without it.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

And 'Google Chrome Receives Lowest Password Security Score':
http://www.info-svc.com/news/2008/12-12/

"1. The destination where passwords are sent is not checked.
2. The location where passwords are requested is not checked.
3. Invisible form elements can trigger password management."
etc.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

* The page down/up keys don't work on the History and Download pages without clicking on the page first (they have two frames)
* The download bar is huge and ugly (could be improved with extensions) and I want to delete downloaded files from the browser (I can only the file in folder)
* As Philipp said, the new tab/window must be customizable (maximization, about:blank, etc.), idem for new incognito window.
* The Download list is too big, and only display ~7 files per page
* The contextual menu that appears when clicking on a hyperlink doesn't have "Search Google for...", only options for links: "copy URL", "open in a new tab", etc.
* Copy/paste in Google Spreadsheet paste the cell two cell below the targetted one
* Ctrl + space in Docs (shortcut for "remove formatting") always almost always crashes Chrome :'(
* I can't select several parts of text, contrary to Firefox 3 (I want to copy two paragraph in a whole article, I have to select, copy and paste each paragraph at a time)
* I want to select some text and move it at the top of the browser so that it creates a new tab and directly searches for the selected words
* I want a "reload all tabs" option when right-clicking on a tab
* "Options" should be at the top of the wrench menu
* I hate the long and boring freeze when clearing browsing data
* As Matt suggested, I need to delete some auto-suggestions of the address bar. google.com/notebook always appears first when taping "g", even if I used the app only once in the past :(and thousands times for google.com. I could use the first letter as a keyword shortcut if I was able to delete stupid entries.
* I think Philipp forgot to complain about the application shortcuts feature which don't indicate the domain name of the website. It's a critical security issue for many users.
* And, naturally, the lack of RSS feed finder

Jon Fournier [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I run two monitors and when I drag the Chrome window to my other monitor it "restores" from being maximized so I have to maximize it again. Most other apps on Windows stay maximized...

Matt [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

No plugin support. Anymore, if a browser can't run NoScript, Adblock, and FlashBlock, I'm not interested.

Chrome doesn't appear to handle 401 response codes properly- likely just a bug.

thios ban [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

*No RSS feed finder

*Copy & Paste is strange, not fuctional at all.

Robert [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

* lack of GreaseMonkey. I want other extensions as well, but Greasemonkey will take care of 70% of my needs.

* if I open a new tab from an application shortcut (I keep GMail in it's own window), it always opens the tabs from last time (which is good), but does so even if that consists of a blank tab only (which is bad).

* Lack of multi-row tabs. After 15-20 tabs, the single tab-bar is useless. I would not be happy with a scroll.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

My only complaint is it doesn't run on Leopard OS (Mac) yet. But I know they are working hard on it.

Paul Richardson [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I really expected a browser from google to have better integration with google services. Especially Bookmarks and History!

The other thing that's a deal stopper for me is that there's no master password that needs to be typed in before saved passwords are accessible and viewable.

Rutger Bom [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Where is a version for Mac? What's going on here?

Pierre [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

* messing with mouse scrolling wheel..

* Got bad request messages when i go on my online bank account

* Javascript as css has tons of glitchs

But it is fast!

Brian L [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

1. tab ordering. I'm addicted to the newest tab always appearing at the right like Firefox.

2. url bar auto-complete: when I start typing a url in the url bar, and the one I want is highlighted on the top of the list, my fingers instinctually want to hit "tab" to auto-complet, then "enter". In Chrome, "tab" successfully auto-completes, but "enter" then takes me to another random website. I think "tab" is simultaneously moving focus to some other link I don't want.

(makes me want to cross post on Cutt's blog!)

elurstoidi [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

yeah, i second a few of these. i've been using chrome as my default browser since it came out because of its snappiness...

but when maximizing on a larger second monitor, it totally freaks out and spaces itself across half of both.

and doing any xml work is a pain in the rear as chrome refuses to display rss, atom, etc.

webgroupWest [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I'm a photographer, and have created custom monitor profiles on all my machines (using Datacolor's Spyder2 colorimeter) to ensure accurate color.

For whatever reason, Chrome causes Vista to reset the color profile to default each time it's launched, making it difficult for me to continue to work (the machines often require rebooting after using Chrome). No other apps do this.

The problem has been reported to Google several times to no avail (the problem still exists in the latest non-beta build).

RobotWisdom [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

with limited RAM (.5G) lots of things are very slow (esp closing tabs w/Flash) with frequent loong freezes; i can't set a minimum font size

GiWY [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Hi Phil,
there's actually a vote on my Google-is-watching-you Blog, which asks the visitors, if they have already changed to chrome or not.

Maybe u want to put it onto your article?
URL is
http://giwy.wordpress.com/2008/12/17/vote-nutzt-ihr-chrome-do-you-use-chrome/

[Signature removed – Tony]

Marc Fleury [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I can't figure out how to open a file from a web link. I can download it, and then open it, but not open it directly (as through IE, where it downloads the file into a temporary folder and then launches it.)

jeff carroll [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

no right-click reload.

no Mac version.

cosmo kramer [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

no adblock support. ha!

Joe Siegler [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I want a true ad blocker, not an "ad mover".

Albert [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have to concur with almost all of the above, especially with Tony Ruscoe's posting (although I've been using the Ctrl+Shift+T shortcut for quite a long time in Chrome already). Also I'm missing extensions like FaviconizeToTab.

Let me add one little thing that has really been bugging me from the beginning:

I have sorted all my important bookmarks into folders that are sitting in my bookmark toolbar. Now whem I'm clicking through them (first-level folders that is), Chrome won't open any of these by just pointing on them, I have to click TWICE, one time to close the previous folder, and the second time to open the next one. This can be very annoying when you're just looking quickly for a bookmark that's somewhere in one of these folders.

Hope you're getting what I mean, because I'm not so good at explaining this :)

Mike A [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

My dislikes.

1. When you're viewing a webpage in the application shortcut mode and click on a link that opens a new page it opens it in a completely different window instead of creating a tab in the current window.

2. As far as I can tell there's no option allowing you to choose to open or download a file. For example, when dealing with a PDF in Firefox I can have the file open immediately in Acrobat whereas in Chrome I have to download it first and then open it.

3. I'm not so thrilled with the shape of the tabs. Yes, a minor quibble but I prefer the square tabs of FF. I'm also not found of the blue color they use. Too cartoonish IMO.

4. I wish there was an option which forced bookmarks to open in their own new tab. I still don't understand why this isn't a standard option on Firefox. Granted, there's an add-on I can install but it should be built-in.

5. Google Gears doesn't always detect that I'm online. It will sometimes switch me to offline editing mode when my internet connection is fine.

6. The button to the right of the URL bar aren't labeled and I often have to figure out which button has the menus I'm looking for.

7. NO ADD-ONS!!! Should never have left beta without the ability to use add-ons.

Yuku Sugianto [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

> The other thing that's a deal stopper for me is that there's no master
> password that needs to be typed in before saved passwords are
> accessible and viewable.

I second this. Based on the source code, the passwords are encrypted using standard Windows API Crypt* functions, so any program will be able to retrieve the password stored on the computer :(

Perma [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I bookmarked Adsense (https url) and everytime I use it, Chrome freaks out and asks if I want to proceed every day, multiple times a day. Yes! It's a bookmark! Leave me alone!

Andrei [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Firefox' Smart Location Bar is far more superior like Chrome?

j.f. zarama [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I use Firefox as my default browser; the item that stops me switching to Chrome is quality of rendering for certain pages.

I have Firefox and Chrome set to the same fonts and size. Have a look at this site with both browsers and determine which browser renders it better, easier to read:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/

Also, some background colors are mangled by Chrome. Have a look at the difference in rendering by FF, accurate, and Chrome:

http://jfzarama.blogspot.com/

Valeka [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Of course! Firefox' Smart Location Bar is far more superior like Chrome!

brnwdrng [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

(1) No real integration with Google Bookmarks
(2) No print preview. Printing electronic documents is usually stupid, but everyone working for a Marketing department is saddled with having to design for it; no print preview forces developers to actually waste paper seeing what Chrome will output. Either remove the print function altogether, or add a Preview.

Libran Lover [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

I frequently get this error in Chrome for too many sites: "site does not exist or is not available" message and the page won't load.

Anybody else get this error? I get this error on a 2003 HP laptop running Win XP. This (and lack of adblock) keeps me from switching to Chrome completely.

Chrome runs just fine on my newer Thinkpad.

The other thing I don't like about Chrome is that, sometimes when a picture doesn't load in a webpage, I can't right click on the spot where the picture should be and select 'show image' or 'show picture' menu option. I am used to having this in Internet Explorer.

noname [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

1. problems with many wysiwyg editors
2. no plugins, at least possibility to use greasemonkey scripts, this should not be so difficult
3. closing chrome completely when closing last tab, i woul prefer opening the dashboard or how they call it
4. changing position of "open in new window" and "open on new tab" on right click, all other browsers got first new tab.
5. (VERY NEEDED) – posibility to see properties of image in html (like width/height) on right click as
6. (VERY NEEDED) – possibility to open source in external application

The last 2 things are 90 % of all my reasons, why I'm opening other browser, otherwise Chrome is the best browser for me now. I got also small problem that it has some bugs in CSS, but far not as many as IE, it just add one more browser to my list, which i need to use for testing all my web projects

noname [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

Libran: confirm. F5 often helps. Seems like it do not wait enough time

Drazick [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I miss Auto Complete in Forms...
That's all!

And better RTL support:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=2082

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

"No Full Screen Mode :-("

So if you put Firefox into Full Screen Mode, you'll notice that the screen real estate of FF in Full Screen Mode is almost exactly what it is on Chrome by default. :)

noname [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

matt: confirm, especialy when you are hidding taskbar

Stu [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

I actually use Chrome more than any other browser these days, although I still haven't made that leap and set it to be the default browser on any of my systems.

What's killing me, though, is that it loses focus when using dropdown boxes. I'm a keyboard-only user in Gmail, and this means that after using the More Actions command, I have to either reach for the mouse, or hit TAB a ridiculous number of times to get the focus back so that I can use the keyboard shortcuts again.

It's bad enough that when I know I have a lot of Gmail stuff ahead of me (those times when I go through and prune and organize my Inbox, for example), I switch to using Firefox with the Better Gmail 2 extension and its Gmail Macros installed.

I know the Chromium team's aware of it – it's issue 396 – but the only progress that seems to have occurred in the past 2 months is that they DE-prioritized it from a Priority 3 to a Priority 2. Ugh.

It's hurting usability with their own product – Gmail – so I really wish they'd step up here...

(Side note, Chrome seems to be stomping on the "Rules & Formatting" link below the comment entry box.)

Ted Payne [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have just converted to Chrome and I don't mind it at all. I am not sure there is much going for it that would make me permanently take the leap from firefox though. I agree they need a recently closed tab function.

[signature removed]

Mounir [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

NO PLUG -NS!!!!!!

Tekkub [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Though I want extensions, mainly greasemonkey, my primary complaint is the password manager. It doesn't let you double-click a login field and get a list of all usernames known for the site. Worse, the "password saver" bookmarklet that removes the autocomplete=off attributes from forms doesn't seem to be honored by Chrome. I *hate* sites that think they should be the ones making the decision if I should be saving passwords or not. That's _MY_ choice to make, not yours!

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

To be honest I'm not worried about extensions. I don't use a flash/ad blocker and the most important extension I use is to get Google Bookmarks, which I would prefer to have built into chrome. At home I use chrome a lot, probably more than Firefox now, a Linux version would be nice :P

* no reload all tabs
* No confirmation on closing multiple tabs
* No session restore
* No Google Bookmarks
* It isn't Firefox

I think I should explain this last point, it's not that I want all the features of Firefox in a browser, it's the feel of the browser, Firefox just *feels* right while Chrome doesn't. I guess its the old argument of you get used to one thing and don't want change.

15 years ago #

<< No session restore >>

This feature is already available. Check the Options dialog.

<< No confirmation on closing multiple tabs >>

This is not necessary if you use session restore and only one window.

<< No reload all tabs >>

Close the browser and reopen it. If you have session restore, the pages will reload.

15 years ago #

* I miss the customization options that are available in most other browsers: hide images, disable JavaScript, delete cookies on exit, cache limits, filetype associations.

* Chrome lacks a decent way to manage a large number of tabs, since the title bar becomes almost invisible.

* Chrome minimizes the space used by buttons and menus, but it's easy to accidentally click on the close window button or on the close tab button.

* The two menus become crowded with too many irrelevant options (new tab, new window, new incognito window, new window in profile – only in Chromium at the moment).

* The status bar truncates web addresses.

* The search technology is primitive (for example: when you search your history, Chrome uses prefix search and "recur" matches "recursive", "recurring" etc.)

* The download bar is displayed only in the tab that triggered the download.

* Chrome uses too much memory and it's barely usable if you don't have at least 1 GB of RAM.

Brian [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have been using Chrome as my default browser since it was released. While I miss AdBlock and have found a number of sites that don't want to play with Chrome, my biggest peeve is that I have not found a way to set it up so that I can click on things like Word documents and have Chrome automatically fire up Word.

This sort of behavior only seems to work for .pdf documents firing up Acrobat Reader. Having to download it and then specifically find and open it is annoying.

Even if it popped up a dialog and asked if I wanted to save or open would be better than the current behavior.

15 years ago #

To open files automatically after downloading them, click on the arrow next to each file and select "Always open files of this type". Chrome will open them using the default application.

Peter Stinson [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Snazzy. But then sometimes it will just freeze up on me. And sometimes it takes a long time rendering, unlike my current default, Firefox.

I'd love to have my delicious buttons in Chrome. I'll be surfing along and want to bookmark a page, but, alas, too difficult. At that point, I always close Chrome and go back to the standard.

In short, it seems to have bling, eye candy, but when put to the day-to-day test, I see that bling is merely paint which is chipping off... Not ready for prime time... As much as I want it to be...

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ionut
RE: Session restore
I don't like the always on restore, I want the Firefox asking each time if you want to restore the next time way :P

15 years ago #

>> The same shortcut works in Chrome too.
> Well, I did not know that. I thought I tried it and it didn't work.

OK, I've just tried this and it seems it only works if you've got at least 2 tabs open. If I close all my tabs except one, I can't use the shortcut. So that's something else I dislike about Chrome!

Temptation [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Incognito mode should be optional.

deepikaur [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Temptation – Incognito mode is optional. You can browse in the normal mode.

Chrome's been my default since it came out, but it does have its flaws. To start out, while changing my settings for certain apps on Facebook, I sometimes run into some issues and have to switch over to Firefox to just change the settings. Then, there's the fact that I cannot sync my Google Bookmarks with Chrome. I hear that the team will be rolling something out soon as a solution the the RSS discovery issue. I'm not really big on add-ons, so that's not really an issue.. if I wanted to use add-ons, I could always go back to Firefox.

www.JMember.tk [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

-No way to install plugins without the need of making like bookmarks.
-Can't search at Blogger's template.

15 years ago #

"I'm a keyboard-only user in Gmail, and this means that after using the More Actions command, I have to either reach for the mouse, or hit TAB a ridiculous number of times to get the focus back so that I can use the keyboard shortcuts again."

Stu, what do you do under More Actions? I'm a keyboard Gmail user too, and almost all of the More Actions have a keyboard shortcut, e.g.
'U' (capital u) to mark as unread, 's' will toggle starred/unstarred, selecting an email with 'x' and then 'T' (capital t) will create a task from an email, 'm' will mute, etc.

15 years ago #

"To start out, while changing my settings for certain apps on Facebook, I sometimes run into some issues and have to switch over to Firefox to just change the settings."

deepikaur, are you using the dev channel version of Chrome? If so, and you're still seeing issues with some Facebook apps, I'm sure the Chrome folks would like to hear example urls/actions that don't work so that they can fix it.

Fabrizio Z. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

no Google Toolbar.
no Google Toolbar
no Google Toolbar
Did I say "no Google Toolbar"? I cannot use Chrome without my bookmarks. It's a fact

Stu [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

Matt, thanks for getting back to me. Have you used Mihai Parparita's Gmail Macros before?

The main difference between it and the standard keyboard shortcuts is the handling of labels. I can hit "l" (ell) or "b", then type the first however many letters of a particular label is necessary for the interpreter to determine which unique label I want (usually just one or two characters), and it will either apply the label to my selections (l), or remove it (b).

This is the ONLY functionality that I use "More Actions" for, because I don't see any other way to add/remove labels via that standard shortcuts. So I would love to not have to use "More Actions" anymore, but that's a big piece of functionality that I need.

Hope I've made it clear enough what it is I'm referring to here. I prefer the way Gmail Macros handles it, but I can still get by with using "More Actions" (because it would work the same no matter what browser or computer I was using, not having to bother with installing Gmail Macros), but because of the focus issue, using "More Actions" becomes a real pain.

Maybe I should've originally told you to go talk to the Gmail team and leave the Chrome team alone? :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> As Matt suggested, I need to delete some auto-suggestions
> of the address bar.

Google Chrome developer Peter Kasting at Matt Cutts' post comments:
<<Items in the Omnibox can be deleted, but it’s tricky. Hit shift-delete on the item (this also works in Firefox). Caveat: You have to arrow to the item (that means that if the item is the default selection, arrow away, then back). This is to avoid conflation with the system level shift-delete “cut” shortcut. In the future, I would like to provide a “delete” icon at the right edge of a selected/hovered entry in this dropdown, to make this discoverable.>>
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-annoyances/#comment-193819

(As Peter says, neat trick for Firefox too!)

Shii [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Chrome doesn't support Windows 2000. Seriously.

kevin [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Mouse gestures
Firebug
RSS Feeds

susan dennis [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I used Chrome fairly exclusively since the day it came out until yesterday. I just got tired of not being able to see many of the web pages I want to. Firefox (and IE) can serve 'em up when Chrome says no. So I'm back to Firefox for now and am SOOO glad to have the form filler back!

Kevin E. [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Needs Roboform interoperability if it is to be my default browser.

Andrew Calvin [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

No Roboform = deal breaker

Talkrabb [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Chrome does not remember the zoom factor of a page.

I use a hig-res monitor. While Firefox remembers the zoom factor every time I open a page with Chrome I have to zoom again.

benzrad [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

hope its password manager better. now in portable version, when the os changed the remembered password will missing while user id still remembered. each time i reinstalled os i had to import password from firefox, which i disliked.

Temptation [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]deepikaur let me rephrase that. Incognito mode should be something I can disable from Chrome completely, with reinstalling the only way to get it back.

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

I really hate that there is no Mac version :p

Ian Davies [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

The number one thing for me that prevents me from using it is that there's no quick way to switch the language of the spell checker in forms. I'm constantly switching between English, German, French, Italian and Spanish, and in Firefox it's as easy as right clicking, pointing to Languages and clicking the right one. Chrome requires going into options, finding it, selecting it, and then <i>restarting the browser</i> before it takes effect. Not good enough! Shame, because apart from that I'd love to use Chrome.

15 years ago #

Private browsing is a feature that will be included in all browsers. If you don't like it, nobody forces you to use it.

SirToast [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Overall I'm very pleased with the browser's performance, however 1 major thing, and 1 minor thing irk me. The major thing is a good plugin system for flashblock/adblock, and the minor thing is that middle clicking does not give the drag scrolling. I know the plugins are being addressed, but I hope they get the middle click action standardized.

Angelo [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

the most missing feature is tags for bookmarks. Once you get used to that using FireFox3 is difficult to work without it!

Andrisi [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Can't disabel spell checker, since it's not available in Hungarian, it underlines every word, except Google :-)

Esto [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Windows only browse... :(Can't use it

Rob O. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

The lack of autocomplete in forms is a big, big issue for me. It's the main thing keeping me in FF.

lolly T [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

No Extensions!!!!!!!!!!!

GeoNomad [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

1. Closing the last tab closes the browser. Even if a download is still in progress. It should open a new home page and/or remind you that downloads are in progress. Or the download should continue in a download window like FF.

2. No master password to turn password feature on and off. Safer pw management.

3. Back button form warning – drives me crazy. Read the cached page please.

4. No RSS feed finder. Just displays the xml code instead of going right to Google Reader.

5. Manage the start page shortcuts individually. Add , delete, order.

6. Bugs in the cookie management. May be fixed, haven't seen it so much lately.

Krishnamoorthy Karthikeyan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I just need these to switch to Chrome (from FF):

1) AdBlock plus
2) Delicious bookmarks extension like the one for FF

I am happy to switch over.

Ozh [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

- fugly washed out look
- no firebug

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Matt Cutts "No Full Screen Mode :-("

Thats why I use FullerScreen & Hide Menubar
http://disruptive-innovations.com/products/index.html
http://forum.moztw.org/viewtopic.php?t=15303

FF3 improved Fullscreen gratelly, when compared to FF2, but this addon makes it PERFECT
I now can choose what bars to hide, and even have status bar appear when mouse is over a link.

rof [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

google update and other nice "toys" that track user.

Incognito [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I'm a big fan of Google Chrome. However, there are some things that I hate.

1. I used Opera for quite some time and I was used to switching tabs in most recently used order. Chrome lacks this feature.

2. I don't like the download manager much, one of the reasons being – it does not give any notification once the download completes.

3. Of course, lack of plugins. Now that I use both Firefox and Chrome, I feel great using the addons in firefox.

4. Unlike Opera, Chrome lacks spatial navigation.

5. No full screen mode.

6. No RSS Feeds. I was very disappointed when I found out that Chrome does not support RSS.

7. No Mouse Gestures.

8. Cannot assign tags for bookmarks.

9. No ad blocking.

10. No smooth scroll.

11. Status bar does not give the full web address.

12. The name of a web page is truncated by the tabs when the name exceeds the tab space. The full name of the page can be seen only by hovering your mouse over the tab.

Prabhpreet Dua [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Simply, Linux and Ubuntu!!!!!!!!!
Hope you guys improve soon!

scjm [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Control F doesn't search inside of forms.

15 years ago #

<< Control F doesn't search inside of forms. >>

It does in my Chromium trunk build.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It worked also with the first build of Chrome that included the bookmark manager

scjm [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Thanks Ionut. Whatever "Chromium truck build" means. I thought this thread was about Google Chome, not obscure beta versions of this browser.

Another complaint: A field has to be selected to right click paste. Right now this box is selected and if i want to paste something into the "Full name" field I have to first left click then right click. If I just straight up right click inside of that field, it has "paste" grayed out as if I have nothing in my clipboard. But i'll try updating my Chrome to see if a newer official version has this error fixed.

LW [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

"Recently closed tabs" is a problem for someone who doesn't want their husband to be looking over her shoulder as to her most recent site visits.

Make "Recently closed tabs" an option.

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

After Vista i'm only using linux....so no Chrome for me.

I am just flabbergasted that they could have written Chrome just for windows. Why? How?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I guess Google wants to direct more users to their search, by providing an alternative to IE. Most existing Linux users use Google as their primary search engine already.

I had a look at the code, and the security mechanisms around the implementation of "one process per tab" are very Windows-specific so it will take them quite a bit of work to port it to Linux. Even after that happens, the Linux version might always be the "poor relation". Fortunately, we have other great browsers available on Linux.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger

Does the "one process per tab" which is "very Windows-specific" also mean the Mac version will suffer as the Linux one?

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]James: the initial version of the security sandbox appears to have been designed with nothing in mind other than Windows. Not only does it use 32-bit system calls, but it uses _undocumented_ Windows 32-bit system calls:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/chrome-antics-did-google-reverse-engineer.ars/2

Regarding the Mac, Google is working on it and no doubt will deliver Mac and Linux versions of Chrome. As evidence of this we can read a little about the OSX Sandboxing Design:
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/sandbox/osx-sandboxing-design

I haven't yet found a corresponding design document for Linux.

15 years ago #

Ah, here's a relevant document regarding the Mac/Linux ports:

"In progress refactoring of key browser-process architecture for porting"
http://dev.chromium.org/Web-page-views

What a pity the developers didn't think about this before they developed the Windows-specific code.

15 years ago #

Thanks Rodger :)

While I have no experience in this area, you seem quite informed :D Would you be able to gauge, from your reading of this information, roughly how far off a mac/linux version is?

Also, I hope chrome has a mac style to it for the mac version...

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]James: There's no way I can guess how long it will take, other than to say that it won't take less than a month and shouldn't take more than a year.

15 years ago #

Haha, thanks so 2-11 months timeframe? :P

Steve Sal [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

#1 deal breaker: No extensions. In particular that means no AdBlock which is the real deal breaker.

Actually the real #1 deal breaker: No Linux version. What were they thinking coding it in a UI toolkit that was not cross platform?

Oh well.

brinke guthrie [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

yup, no extensions. I like Chrome, but FF 3.05 is my browser. I don't even have an IE shortcut anywhere, and I'd delete if I could.

IMJackAss [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

When posting in forum either submitting or previewing, it returns blank and your contents gone. There goes your well-thought content disappear before your naked eyes.

Im using latest Chrome (1.0.154.36) as of this writing. Obviously Chrome is way behind other top browsers like Firefox/Opera.

Anon ymous [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

No Linux/OS X/*BSD support.
Why isn't it based e.g. upon Qt4?

kguugihdfgjhf [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

definitely the crappy download manager. firefox's is better. but i still like google chrome. its just that the download manager stinks cuz it closes when you accidently close the browser.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!