Forum

Why Google employee quit  (View post)

Grega M [PersonRank 2]

Sunday, January 18, 2009
15 years ago5,824 views

From TechCrunch:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/01/18/why-google-employees-quit/

>>
The thread shows a brutal honesty about what it’s like to work at Google, at least from the point of view of employees who were unhappy enough to resign. Top amongst the complaints is low pay relative to what they could earn elsewhere, and disappearing fringe benefits seemed to elevate the concern. Other popular gripes – too much bureaucracy, poor management, poor mentoring, and a hiring process that took months.

A few of the posts are more positive, and frankly there isn’t a whole lot here that you don’t see in other big companies.
<<

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Mikey [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

In any large company there is continual churn at entry level positions. Why would it be any different at Google? From reading the collective whines, it is good for Google that these people are gone. Some people have the talent and drive to grow and succeed and other, like this group, do not. A good large company will help these type out the door.

Thomas Hofmann Online [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

What a pitty, Google Page Creator was stopped. Google Sites can not do to me (and I guess much other) what Page Creator did. :-(

gregards, Thomas

Pranay Sanghavi [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Yes, Nicholas Carr states the same thing, in google more products are jsut a lab rat than actually strategical promotions.

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm quite apalled, that someone sent messages from a private group to the press. If he/she was sacked by Google then it seems it was a good decision by the company.

Adam Lasnik [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

Marcin,

I share your disappointment about that! It's a shame that just one or two people can so rudely abuse others' trust. Each time someone "leaks" in this way (not to mention is facilitated by someone who knowingly publishes the private information), the chances for further open and productive dialog are threatened.

With that said, though, I wanted to note that I personally know and have an enormous amount of respect for many ex-Googlers. So I hope that neither their (presumed private) frankness nor their leaving Google is viewed inherently negatively by others... and most importantly, that there are no presumptions about the conditions under which they left Google.

Nathan Adams [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Worth noting that one mentions a "travel vertical" project. Sounds like Google is working on the much requested and hypothesised-as-a-good-fit travel search.

anon [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

Yes I would love to work at Google ... but also ... I have a life :)

I want to keep it. :)

bingo [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Google must always continue high-risk projects ... it's what they do, and what makes sense to this specific company.

That's what made Google what it is today.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!