Google Blogoscoped

Forum

GrandCentral's "coming back"

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, January 27, 2009
15 years ago8,056 views

Problems plague Google's GrandCentral
> "a new version on new infrastructure will be coming soon. Apologies to anyone who has run into issues on the legacy version". – Jeff
> "BTW, for folks who don't know, the Jeff posting on this thread is Jeff Huber, SVP of Engineering @ Google. Very cool that Jeff is hanging out here, IMO" – Kevin Scott

http://friendfeed.com/e/c7303ce1-d9af-45a1-a199-5e65b2366827/Problems-plague-Google-s-GrandCentral/

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

the GC blog posted back in april that they were working on a new version http://blog.grandcentral.com/?p=145

jeff told me that the new grandcentral would be out "soon" back in october

i can't wait for it. i have high expectations

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Okay, I admit I've been very cynical about Google's acquisitions, but Jeff Huber does post very good examples of Google acquisitions going spectacularly right. Even Blogger (everyone's favorite Google whipping boy) is becoming competitive again.

If it's taken time for Grandcentral to move to Google's shared infrastructure, then okay. Google, like many companies, could be a little more transparent about this. Let people know you're there and listening and that it's hard and they're sorry for the wait. Last post on the Grandcentral Blog is like April 2008.

Does every buzzworthy Google product have its own Matt Cutts or a team to work with the community? Even if nothing is happening, people like to know that what they use is important to the company. Search, Blogger and Maps/Earth are especially good at this.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

GrandCentral's occasional blog post is enough, don't you think? It'd be odd to post regularly with nothing more to say than "Sorry, we're still working"

It isn't like Dodgeball, where absolutely nothing happened after the acquisition.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I can't wait. I'm anxious. I hope you can integrate it with Gmail to create one super communications hub.

David Saunders [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I can't wait for Grand Central to be in full beta mode and adopted by everyone and their cat!

I have an account and would love to see it morphed into use with my G 'Phone, E Mail and Business Account

The odd post here and there did make me wonder if all was going to go through or not but I always thought this was a surefire winner for Google

I'm a bit wary of printing my # on cards etc just now :)

Thanks Jeff

David Saunders

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

These are a few things they might do: http://www.google.com/support/grandcentral/bin/request.py?contact_type=suggest

Esteban [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I hope the news is correct. As another mentioned – I too, am very cynical . Through other blogs, etc, I kept hearing that Google is coming out with a better GrandCentral. Thus far – nothing.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I know that they are, I'm just too impatient

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Sweet news. This product is probably expensive to maintain, but will definitely pay off if directed right.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

What i expect (hope for):
   * Migration to Google Contacts
   * Integration with Gmail Chat/Google Talk for voice/video calls
   * SMS forwarding
   * Bringing back the upload your own ringtone feature
   * Go international
   * Receive faxes
   * Port over your number
   * An awesome makeover of the website and everything
   * Lots of little things that will make it more awesomer

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!