Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Cant select suggested search first time

Tom Gilbert [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, February 1, 2009
15 years ago2,427 views

When I use Google and start to type a word say DVD, immediately a window appears showing possible searches. I see one of the possible searches is DVD Release Dates which is what I want. If just move my mouse to the suggested search and click it, Google ignores the selection and just uses DVD. I have to start typing again then I can select the full DVD Release Dates. Minor problem but annoying

I don't know what this feature is called but I would like to know how to get Google to use the suggested search the first time.

TIA – TOMG

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Weird. It works for me. Which browser and OS are you using?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I was about to type in DVD. When I typed "D", I saw that the drop-down list included many of my own past searches that began with D.

I've had my web history "paused" for months, and I removed all the items months ago (therefore the "Remove items" link is greyed out).

So where is Google getting my searches from for these suggestions?

(I can't duplicate Tom's problem today, but I have certainly seen it in the past using Firefox/Linux).

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Please ignore the previous post; it must be Firefox inserting my previous searches locally.

Tom Gilbert [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Tony – good catch. I am using Windows 2000. But my browser is Maxthon 1.56. I just tried it using clean Internet Explorer 6.0 and it worked fine
Arghh – I use Maxthon because I like the tabs – I like being able to easily bounce between previously opened pages. There are probably other tabbed browsers maybe I should investigate. [ IE 6.0 is the only IE that will run on Windows 2000, IE7 needs XP]
Thanks for the help – Tom Gilbert

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!