Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New in Labs: Multiple Inboxes  (View post)

Arie [PersonRank 3]

Friday, February 6, 2009
15 years ago6,591 views

It seems that now you can open more then one mailbox in Gmail.
see Gmail Blog for details.. http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/new-in-labs-multiple-inboxes.html

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Not exactly. It does open up to 5 panels with different searches in your inbox, which is nice if you have a widescreen monitor with the right side labels/chat labs addon disabled. But you can also set the panels above/below the inbox, so it works nice anyway.
Now they have to implement Reader!! (Yes, I know there's the greasemonkey script, but I want something more ... native, real, etc)

What are you going to filter with this?

I'm using it to filter all the facebook notifications and a couple of mail subscriptions, making my inbox more lightweight.

wonder [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

when I first read this I thought maybe it was having multiple Inboxes from other gmail accounts.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[moved ~hebbet]
Not entirely sure how new, but:
   http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10158168-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Looks great I have to say.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]wonder and @Arie:
I've been thinking about how to use it for other accounts, and the best I can think with this tool is having POP3 access to other accounts, and the filter panels by the "To" field of the mail.
Ideas?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I set this up, so starred messages displays above the inbox. I hope this way I won't forget about them anymore ;]

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Didn't Gmail used to be a simple? Now there's tons of features and loads of settings. It took a while for the Multiple Inboxes settings tab to appear and I spent ages looking through the settings! Not a complaint, just an observation.

[put at-character here]Zim
I have a Widescreen monitor and I've got both the right side chat and Multiple inboxes enabled :P Admitedly, when I go on my laptop I'm going to have problems with it.

Above 7 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Vidal [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

any body knows how to list all emails with attachments?

has:attachment

Vidal [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

lol it was...
has:attachment

Jewels Mart [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Very useful!
I've added another inbox with label:labelname and removed the is:draft and put the inboxes one below the other.

Nick Spacek [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Great, they should make them resizable and movable, so we can stack them in any pattern we want!

how to do this setting [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

i couldn't able to find the setting in my gmail.???

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mrrix32
GMail is still mostly simple BY DEFAULT. If you don't change anything, it is pretty straightforward.

All these extra settings allow users to make it as complex as they choose. Unfortunately, managing all this complexity isn't really easy yet. Labs is just a long, long list and some features override and/or clutter the interface.

I'm wondering which labs features will graduate to "real" ones.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Looks good but not useful. The only upside is that you don't have to open different tabs in your browser to see different lists of e-mails.
Downside: when you have a panel with a query "label:X", the label is still displayed before the title, so when you have a long label name you CAN'T see the titles of the e-mails...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The panes are actually search views. As you probably noticed, search results show the labels before each subject. Maybe Vivi should treat label:X queries separately and show the standard label view.

Stefan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

superflous. What I would like is to have a new mail window in the right pane

hema [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

greattt

thank You

www.anime2arab.com

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Vidal
i normally add a filter for "has:attachment" then assign label "Files" ... next time you need to sort by files, click on label Files or do search "label:files <query>"

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

is it me or does "Multiple Inboxes" not work with Offline feature?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Josue, I don't think search is available for the offline feature, which is how this multiple inbox feature works.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

You can search the messages stored offline.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Thanks for clarifying. I think I misunderstood this comment about the flaky connection mode:

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/149384.html#id149491

(I've had no reason to try it out for myself yet...)

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Josue R.
I had no problem getting it to work off line on the PC I set it up on. On my laptop I had to disable it then re enable it to get it to show up even online. (Both PC and Laptop have Offline set up)

Fred K [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I've taken a look at Google's Enterprise edition which is just being rolled out, [appassure.ning.com/profiles/blogs/google-announces-gmail]

It's all good stuff.

Misty Faucheux [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

That is very useful. I sometimes hate having to scroll through all my Emails when I want to find a starred item.

Thanks for sharing!

Misty Faucheux
Social Media/Community Relations Manager, Viscape.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!