Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] Ubuntu (and other Linux) users

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, February 10, 2009
15 years ago4,734 views

Just out of curiosity, i was wondering how many of the regular Blogoscoped members were Ubuntu or other GNU/Linux users (or any other Free OS), and if they dual-boot, etc.

I dove into Linux in late 2006 with Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft and have been Faildoze-free ever since (no dual-booting crap). Right now, i'm testing Ubuntu 9.10 Jaunty Jackalope

The rest of you? Tried Linux? Use it occasionally? Dual-boot? Full-time?

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I tended (thats probably incorrect english) to use Ubuntu for a while, next I got a mac from school, first I installed ubuntu on it, next I broke windows and lastly I broke linux and since then I have been unable to install linux on it, so I have been using mac instead, even though I miss linux quite often... (the main reason I haven't reinstalled ubuntu is that I am out of cd's :P)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]David:
You can install Ubuntu without a CD from a separate partition or a USB drive
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]DPic, the problem is that you need a windows or linux installation as far as I know to create such a stick (and something else is wrong with my system none the less, as I have approx. 100 different (older) linux distro's lying around on cd and none seem to install correctly... soon I will probably format my whole hard drive... but with efi that's going to be a problem as well... ah well... currently I have been able to get all linux programs running on mac, so generally speaking I am totally fine)

Luka [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Ubuntu 8.10 at work
Mac OS X for home and mobililty + Ubuntu in virtualbox

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I like to try different Linux distros from time to time, but never as my Primary OS.

I too started my Linux Experience in 2006, but with 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake?) and since then have tried KDE environments, YDL on my PS3 and more recently Knoppix. I have also used Darwin for fun.

PS. Never realized how many fellow mac users there are on the forum... wonder what percentage of Page views there are from macs and also, how many of the active forum members use macs...

It would be interesting to see if the number of mac and linux users increases or decreases depending on PersonRank :P

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

No, but I recently tried Windows 3.1 :)
I'm so glad those days are over.

15 years ago #

Did phillip or tony actually ever release some visitor statistics... it would be fun especially to see whether somebody is using chrome on lin and mac... after there are a number of google fans here :P

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

David, I'm sure Philipp won't mind me sharing this with you...

In the past month, Google Analytics says there has been 1 visit from Chrome on a Mac. All other Chrome users are on a PC.

Interestingly, Ionut says this over on FriendFeed (but doesn't name his source):

<< Expect Google Chrome for Mac in the coming days. The Linux version should follow soon after. >>

http://friendfeed.com/e/a192626d-085a-4af9-9b1b-fb34dcce0206/Expect-Google-Chrome-for-Mac-in-the-coming-days/

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Been dual booting Ubuntu since around 2006. First with XP where usage was about 50:50. When I got my new PC it came with Vista and my Ubuntu usage went up a lot. Recently I've been using Win 7 beta most of the time.

I believe Linux would be the best option for me, as most of the programs I use run on it fine. I guess games are the main reason I never fully switched (Yes Wine/Crossover are quite good, but their not 100%)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tony:
I removed that post because I don't want to create unrealistic expectations. Some posts from Chromium's sites mentioned that they'll soon have "a double-clickable app with a working browser window using the real multi-process infrastructure". But that's not a finished browser and they still need to create the UI.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Fedora Linux on my work machine. No dual boot – it's also a webserver so I couldn't dual boot anyway.

The family have Ubuntu on a very old PC, and a Mac Mini connected to the TV. We've been Microsoft-free for about five years now.

It does cause difficulties for the kids at school. "Dad, why can't we have Photoshop and Sibelius software like everyone else does?" leads to "Sorry no, I'll show you how to do it with Gimp and Garage Band".

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Ubuntu 8.10 at home, and at work.
I've a dual boot (2 second-long wait, Ubuntu selected by default :-D) and I use Windows only for important things: discover Google Chrome, Google Earth plugin, video in Gmail Chat, etc.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm surprised, it seems like TOMHTML and i are the only two dedicated Linux users here!

The ONLY things i ever use windows xp (through virtualbox) for:
   * Uploading albums which contain videos to Picasa Web
   * Running Neuro-programmer 2 (doesn't yet work in Wine and the Free Software alternative, Gnaural, isn't nearly as powerful) http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/?c=9302176
   * I'm pretty sure that's it

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I use XP (+ iPhone). I'd like to test Linux and switch to Mac but I can't afford a Mac (still student), and fear Linux due to my lack of computer science background (fake geek).

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Don't fear the penguin! It's cute and cuddley =D

When i first switched to Ubuntu, i abandoned windows completely. I was a high school sophomore (15 years old) and i never had any real problems. I didn't have any background either and still don't consider myself 1337 at all (although i wish i was) and i've converted lots of non-techy friends who love it too

Just dive in! There's always tons of people available to help if you run into the slightest problem =]

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Dpic I also use Windows once or twice a year to check the "offline messages" I received from Windows Live Messenger (MSN) that you can't read with Pidgin ^^

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Nope, you've got another. Using Ubuntu all the time (used to have a dualboot, but I never fixed my corrupted Windows partition)
Involved in translations and in the project Gnome GlobalMenu.

Luca [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Linux user from the beginning... now enthusiast Ubuntu User.

1 dual boot pc (win-lin) + 1 triple boot mac, (mac-win-lix) + several vm and ubuntu boxes...

for all Linkedin Users, you are invited to join the Group

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=27258

we are reaching 7000 members...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

We are probably all Linux users, if you count that many routers use Linux, many phones use Linux, many airlines have Linux-operated seatback entertainment, many televisions and video recorders use Linux, and so on.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<<We are probably all Linux users, if you count that many routers use Linux, many phones use Linux, many airlines have Linux-operated seatback entertainment, many televisions and video recorders use Linux, and so on.>>

Lol yeah, yeah, yeah, but that's not what i meant!

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I use Ubuntu 7.10 exclusively. I really don't ever want to go back to windows.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

7.10? Any reason for not upgrading?

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I use Windows primarily, running Vista both on my primary home PC and on my work computer (as per implicit employment requirements). I recently cobbled together a new home PC to try out Win7, but it failed to use the video card. Ubuntu USB based LiveCD crashed trying to display desktop, and both Vista and XP had video card problems as well... So I figured out it was a hardware problem.

I have had a large variety of Linux-like OSs installed at various times (from Slackware and Minix, OpenDOS and RedHat, then Fedora, and most recently Ubuntu), as stand alone boxes, routers (before commercial routers became available), and for other purposes. I've also had my fair share of stupid install moments, mostly with less popular OSs – I never did get OpenDOS networking to work, but the RedHat install that I replaced it with couldn't find a network connection either, at least, not until I plugged the ethernet cable back in.

Overall though the *nix boxes have been purpose-built (routers, file/web/game/media servers), while the Windows boxes have been for recreational and general purposes.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!