Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google/ AOL Press Release  (View post)

Brock [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, December 21, 2005
18 years ago

There are things that generally concern me about this deal, but if Google can get AOL to open AIM, we could see some really intense innovation in that sector as competition suddenly gestalts. That would be pretty cool.

It would also be pretty cool to uninstall AIM, which seems to use 8 megs of RAM even when it's off.

Ian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Never heard of Gaim or Miranda? :)

Jason Carr [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Or Dead Aim or Trillian?

MrNibz [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Gaim, and the like, are interoperating with AIM by their design. This announcement however is AOL working to let GTalk interoperate or AOL cooperating in allowing GTalk to interoperate.

A good question here would be: Would google introduce ads on the GTalk client like those of AIM? The AIM ads really suck. What are the "certain conditions"?

asdfw [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm really hoping that google users will be able to talk to aim through their google accounts. I could settle on using my aim account on gtalk but using my google account to talk to my aim account friends, my google account friends, and maybe in the future other jabber server would make me one happy camper.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!