Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How Google ranks the internet?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, February 26, 2009
15 years ago2,125 views

Okay so this is random but if you do a search for something like "site:*" how does google rank the results?
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A*&btnG=Search

JEShack [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

That's it?! Is that the real flow Google's page rank? There wasn't even * in every search results so how come Google could put a search result at that order...

I tried using "|". Generally when you searched for | in Google, the result should be: "Your search – | – did not match any documents". But making "site:|". The result is different.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Google's search results need to be computationally feasible, so any search with a massive number of results is not going to be in exact ranking order.

I guess Google's servers will extract a certain number of results, then sort those by rank and relevance, then display a screenful of them. The pages you see (for any massive query) will no doubt be affected by the order in which they are stored on Google's servers.

I tried searching for the word "com". This said "Results 1 – 10 of about 22,550,000,000" which I think is the largest estimate I've ever seen displayed in the search results. Lucky they can do 64-bit arithmetic.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<<I guess Google's servers will extract a certain number of results, then sort those by rank and relevance>>

How can they measure the relevance of no search terms? The query "site:*" has no keywords. I was just bored, thought maybe something could be learned from this keywordless search, maybe not

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]DPic: you're right of course, relevance doesn't come into it.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!