Google Blogoscoped

Forum

superman > spiderman in google opinion  (View post)

Marty191 [PersonRank 3]

Monday, March 2, 2009
15 years ago4,494 views

if i type into google spidermans shirt, it asks me did u mean superman's shirt...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i7cOOVL2EpE/SavuJZSlIHI/AAAAAAAAFDA/6ETBpmGt2Co/s1600-h/spiderman-superman-google.jpg

of course it's because i haven't typed apostrophe, but why does it change spiderman to superman? :)

link: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=spidermans+shirt&btnG=Search

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

because this Peter Parker's pseudonym is "Spider-man", not "Spiderman" ;)

Above 2 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Josh [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

The problem being two-fold:

1) Superman's Shirt is an iconic thing: it carries the uber-famous "S", whereas "Spider-man's shirt" is... what? maybe a dress shirt? (peter parker) – A more apt query might be "Superman's Shirt" vs "Spider-man's costume", but even then it's skewed in superman's favor due to t-shirt sales

2) There are almost double the results for spider-man's shirt as there are for superman's shirt; not sure how that means that superman wins?

Jaan Kanellis [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

I dont understand what this post is suppose to mean? The number of results is not a real accurate indicator of anything really. From day to day you can see totally different numbers for the same results. In no way is a good indicator of number of results for a query.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> I dont understand what this post is suppose to mean? The
> number of results is not a real accurate indicator of anything really.
> From day to day you can see totally different numbers for
> the same results.

Marty and I were not getting at the number of results, but the "Did you mean" message by Google... which changes "Spiderman" into "Superman"...

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

Google is right

Aubrey Alexander [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Why not search for "Spiderman Shirt" and "Superman Shirt"

Why the possessive?

Maybe it's because there are two ways to write spiderman. Nobody calls him Super-man

alexandrojv [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

just try out [googlefight.com]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!