Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Noticeboard Add-On  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 11, 2009
15 years ago5,359 views

Seems interesting, but how this can be allowed when our beloved Notebook was cancelled?

What REAL application could "Noticeboard" even have?

15 years ago #

Also, download page says "Requires Firefox 3 + Windows XP"

Surely Vista is supported too?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

1) it works only with Windows
2) I can't see the website at all, any idea?
http://i40.tinypic.com/1z5ri3o.png

15 years ago #

I can see it fine (the log in page)

I can't sign in, since I'm on a Mac... stupid Google.

KMB [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

It's using Gmail and stores messages in Gmail's IMAP-folders. So you can't see any webpage and login without the Firefox extension.

michperu [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Vista --no luck!

Surly Teabag [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

It's voice mail for people who don't have cell phones or phone lines, and use a particular kind of Windows... I was going to say that GrandCentral 2.0 will eliminate any need for this, but that might only be true in the U.S. Maybe Noticeboard will be useful in certain parts of the world.

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Seems like they invented e-mail with attachments. Ooops, that's like 13 years late (RFC 2045).

BTW, the reason Mozilla addons won't install with direct click from the web site is probably wrong MIME type defined for xpi files.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

OK, here is the real URL http://labs.google.co.in/intl/en/noticeboard/

Amadh [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I googled a link which gives a tutorial on how to use it :

http://84productions.blogspot.com/2009/03/google-noticeboard-new-firefox-add-on.html

KARR [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here] James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

I can see it fine (the log in page)

I can't sign in, since I'm on a Mac... stupid Google.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in india almost every COMMON PEOPLE use Micro$oft Window$ (thats actually very sad thing)

very few people use Linux

and almost nobody or ultra-hyper-extreme few people use Mac

and Google Noticeboard generally created for indian user (like GrandCentral only for USA)

so its not stupid Google . its quite logical not to waste time on Mac version . they know what they u r doing . they want to see whats the people's reaction b4 launching it world wide

Opaquit [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I never thought I would say this about something from Google—but this thing was just the worst Firefox extension ever. :(I kind of don't know why it's called 'Noticeboard' when you need to choose a recipient every time you send a message, it's just a weird interface for Gmail. Anyway, I installed this and just like Philipp said, it completely broke my Firefox window. Plus, it made my computer extremely slow, not a single application ever used this much resources before. And it was hard to uninstall as well, it took me several minutes to get to the Extension manager and once the uninstallation began, my computer froze for another 5 minutes. Maybe I shouldn't have tested this on Vista x64 since it says it supports just XP but I guess it makes no difference, it wouldn't be less buggy on an XP machine. And I don't see a point in this being a downloadable extension either, it should be a web app for all kinds of browsers and operating systems as there's no feature that requires access to the user's computer.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

i'm on linux (ubuntu) and i installed the addon with Wine+Firefox just fine. When i tried it i thought it would be helpful but after 2 mins, i quickly left because it got me nowhere.

Devaraj [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

My FF hangs after installing Notice board.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!