Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT]New iPod shuffle has no buttons![Not A Joke]]

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 11, 2009
15 years ago3,849 views

http://images.apple.com/euro/ipodshuffle/gallery/images/ipodshuffle_image1_20090311.jpg

As thick as an earphone plug, and 1.8' tall, the new iPod shuffle holds 4GB of music in an a new enclosure of anodised aluminum, so small that the buttons are on the earphone cord, not the iPod.

The new iPod shuffle features VoiceOver,From Apple.com:
"VoiceOver is the exciting new feature that makes iPod shuffle the first music player that talks to you. It entirely changes the way you browse and navigate your music. Say you’re listening to a song and want to know the title or the artist. With the press of a button, VoiceOver tells you — without interrupting your music."

The iPod shuffle is 75 euro including VAT

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

With other words, it has buttons, but not where you expect them :(

Truth to be told, 'cnet' (and most comments) apparently hate the new system, due to impossibility to easily use your own headsets and I am frustrated that the voiceover is generated on the computer where itunes is installed instead of an embedded system inside the shuffle...

15 years ago #

Other remote headsets will work, and an adaptor will be available for headsets without remotes.

If VoiceOver were generated by the iPod a lot more CPU power would be needed, and as I see it, in the future, the VoiceOver sound bites may be included with the iTunes download, perhaps in the artists voice... Just a thought.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The lack of on board controls makes me not want it. Even if there was an adapter doesn't that kind of make the no controls thing pointless?

Also personally I think this is going to be too small,
1st shuffle was too big for a non screened player. 2nd shuffle could be a bit thinner but ok size.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Why buy an MP3 player when you can use your phone for the same purpose?

15 years ago #

Phones are bulky?

iTunes?

Walkman/Other On-Phone music apps suck?

KMB [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

For everyday I use the mobile for music, but when training I use iPod shuffle because it's much smaller. When you train you want to wear as little as possible and that it resists liquid from rain and sweat.

15 years ago #

I think 90% of shuffle owners=Gym users...

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

This is way off-topic, but, if gymrats in general listen to their own iMusictripe, how come all (and I mean ALL) gyms I ever visited, if briefly, were awash in highly-intrusive Muzak of the techno/ hip-hoppy kind? What was so wrong with Silence™ that it had to be abolished?

15 years ago #

I suppose, that the rhythm of the music gets people moving in time, and silence is boring and creates tension when trying to work out, I mean it's fine for relaxing but... I dunno, I prefer music when I'm doing physical things.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!