Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Reader Adds Comments  (View post)

Lei [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, March 12, 2009
15 years ago4,729 views

Try: Google Reader Adds Comments

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

15 years ago #

Overlap between Reader and Blogger is approaching 100 percent.

Once in a while I post something that isn't based on a link at all.

A small percentage of my link based blog entries do not originate from a feed.

For those of us not trying to make fortune of fame off our blogs, Reader is getting to be almost all we need. Almost.

I wish they would just finish the job.

Stan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I think it's time to create a new RSS protocole that includes comments, don't you think?

Eugene Villar [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

This fragmentation of comments and conversations really needs a good solution.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm worrying about what would happen with comments in the future too. If you comment my articles "privately" at Reader, me (the author!) and my visitors (other readers) are loosing the richness of the discussions that take place after each article is posted.
Although these comments probably won't be directly related to the topic of the discussed post, there's a spot for misuse of this feature that needs to be covered up...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Google, are you listening! =]

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Sometimes the fragmentation may be wanted and needed, like when you want to discuss X with circle-of-friends Y but not circle-of-friends Z, and at other times it may be nice to have it more in one place (so you don't have to repeat yourself) or at least be able to at least back-integrate some of it. Still wishing for Friendfeed to give us a "link" operator in their search engine, which would allow us to search for a specific blog post and then dynamically, via their RSS feeds, to add the FF comments below the blog post comments (should we wish to do so... say, it could be added as a special dynamically expandable box hidden by a plus sign or so).

As it is, a particular news item may be discussed in a near-infinite amount of places, a blog posting being one of several places of discussion opening up (determining where the "original" source is is often hard or up for debate, and if there is an original source, it may also not have direct commenting ability). I think often that variety is good. Say a video I want to discuss originates at YouTube... I still wouldn't particularly like to get into the discussion at the YouTube comments thread. I don't know those people and they often give bad comments, and I'm not even sure I'd have the particular browsing habits to keep up on that thread's conversation in the first place. Would I post this video here in the forum or in Friendfeed, then it would be showing to people I'd more prefer to discuss this with, and new replies would also quickly push to the top of the page.

IrishWonder [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Hehe caught it and posted it approximately 15 minutes earlier on my blog than you :-)

Now if a person could subscribe to their own blog and see what everybody else subscribed to it do in terms of sharing and commenting... a reputation management tool of a sort, maybe even with blog ownership verification akin to Technorati or Google Webmaster Tools – now that would have been really useful!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

IrishWonder, have you tried e.g. http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2009-03-08-n10.html ?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> Try: Google Reader Adds Comments

Lei, what do you mean?

Ethan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

As a user who shares and stars a lot of posts... the change pushes down the buttons, so you can no longer quickly hit "share + star"... not sure why they wouldn't display the "comment" button perennially and not just when you click "share"...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!