Google Blogoscoped

Forum

In Interfaces, Similar Things Should Have Similar Names (and Vice Versa)  (View post)

Benz145 [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, March 17, 2009
15 years ago3,456 views

I like when you guys point out these kind of inefficient design decisions. Thought as I went to leave this comment, I had to click "comments(0)" at the bottom of the page to start a new comment, which I would say is along the same lines of 'unintuitivity' if I can make that a word : P.

I would have expect to see a box already there for me to start my comment in.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Benz, you are right about noting this issue. The original reason for this is the special blog – forum integration (along with the aim to avoid duplication), but that there's a reason is no excuse in itself... I gotta ponder this part again.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I like the reddit example, i've switched from digg to reddit recently and that does bug me

Bart [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I think the reason why it says "edit" on the button, is to make the distinction between saving a new comment, and saving a change to an existing comment (which is what this "edit" button does).

If the button just said "save", you might have to think again, doubting whether you're actually saving an edit, or instead, accidentally creating a dupe. The best text IMHO would mention both, like "save edit", but maybe that's a bit long...?

Christian [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I would put "Done" on that button. I think that would be the most intuitive for me.

Richard [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

What's wrong with 'OK'?

Jonathan Yu [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Some AJAX-y web sites simply save for you when you move out of the box. That makes the most sense to me. See Facebook's box under your profile picture – you change the text, and simply click somewhere else, and the text is automatically updated and submitted behind-the-scenes.

Though I guess you lose the advantage of being able to cancel, but if you're careful when editing, that shouldn't be a problem. It might also explain why Facebook only uses that feature for something trivial like the "Write something about you" box

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!