Google Blogoscoped

Forum

99.99% Blurred?

George R [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, March 22, 2009
15 years ago2,244 views

Does Google actually give its employees a course in Google math?
Google Street View UK recently claimed that they blurred 99.99% of the faces. According to Chris Matyszczyk from cnet's "Technically Incorrect" thousands of faces are clear.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10201725-71.html

Why would Google want to publicize that they blur their images? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use image enhancement to reduce or remove blur. Who wants to look at blurry images? I do not want to look at blurry faces or blurry maps. Is repeated exposure to blurry images harmful to our vision?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

"I do not want to look at blurry faces or blurry maps" > ok so don't use Google Street View. Or would your rather like completely black images with mentions "this view has been removed because of faces detected" ?

it might be "technically incorrect", but I doubt that is because CNet has "found thousands of faces clear". Or CNet is able to say exactly how many faces have been photographied by Google cars, otherwise they are liars.

Moreover, Google puiblicize about that because the company wants to be more friendly with pro-privacy activists.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!