Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Example of LIFE Archive Results In Google Images  (View post)

imma [PersonRank 3]

Friday, March 27, 2009
15 years ago4,559 views

I think this deserves a frown (and preferably an explanation of why, but that seems unlikely)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

"do you frown on this or find it perfectly fair?"
The real question is: is this picture relevant? If the answer is "yes", then there is no problem.

ladidadi [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

and the problem is where exactly? i couldn't care less.

MATT [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

my question is : why the freaking hell you were looking for an large eric schmidt picture?dude,search for nice babe instead.You will have more fun!

there is no problems here,delete the entire post,this is useless "news"

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think that Philipp's question is important.

It raises the same issues as the net neutrality debate, which Google is very vocal about. Too bad they aren't so net-neutral themselves in this case. Here, the content hosted by Google gets better treatment than content hosted on other websites. It's a small issue, but if we are quiet about it then who knows what's next?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Look, the green text is there to show the source, right?

For images which are crawled Google Images, the source is unknown and the url is given as the source (because it is).

However, Google hosts the Life content, and that is the source, so it is shown in the results as the source.

I think we'll see more like this but with the algorithm perhaps generating a souce from a website; eg http://imdb.com/imagesource to be shown simply as "IMDB" or "The Internet Movie Database", perhaps it could even find images from offline sources which are on a website using image-mining technology, for example An image from Time magazine hosted on http://engadget.com showing up as "Time Magazine" in the green text for the source, though, these would be a long way off if it ever happens.

que [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think Live Image Search does a better job searching for Eric Schmidt images except that their extra large (aka Desktop) sizes are not good. But, Live's [illustration] refinement option produces some nice drawings while Google's Line Drawings produces nothing relevant...disappointing.

I think that for many image searches now, Lives algorithm has surpassed Google's. Its results seem to be more consistent while Google tends to have more variation with results (ie, not Eric Schmidt the CEO).

Also, Live's UI is much better and very slick now. Easy to change options, related searches, and infinite scroll...very nice.

Although, I still use Google image search before any others. It still produces mostly relevant results...but I think Live is evolving faster.

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]James:

I'm not talking about the caption, but the robots.txt which prevent *other* search engines from accessing LIFE images. Google gives itself an exemption on the robots.txt standard.

Solidstate [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Well the LIFE image is gone now, so I guess someone at Google noticed this post...

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Its still there in my case, try logging out.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!