Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Websites appearing under search bar] whats going on?

surf [PersonRank 1]

Friday, March 27, 2009
15 years ago4,681 views

Whenever I leave google's homepage (classic or igoogle) after a few minutes of idle time, appearing out of nowhere under the search bar are these 4 websites
blog.sina.com.cn/mifftymiffty
photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/kanacoko/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.co.jp
www6.atpages.jp/paprican/
panasonic.co.jp/jobs

I do not where they come from, I have never visited them, and its the same ones everyday! its been going on for weeks.
I have tried to erase my history, I've run virus scans and my computer works fine.
Its just wierd.......How do I get rid of this and how does this happen?

[unlinked URLs.]

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Run your anti-virus and anti-spyware software.

surf [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I have and it doesnt change anything! Scan says CLEAN! Problem still there. It only does this with Google. I tried changeing homepages for a few days and then went back to google. Then the problem appears again!

George R [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

What do you mean by "under the search bar"?

Does this happen with all google domains or just "google.com"?

What happens if you save google.com on your local machine and then use the copy?

surf [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

It appears under the search bar as if you typed it and it just appears there.
This only happens with Google.
If I try to save it it then disappears. If I click on the individual links I can go to the website, but then the others diappear.
Wierd,huh?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Can you share some screenshots maybe?

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Or say is the browser Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera? Are you sure those URL's doesn't appear from the paeticular browser toolbar, i.e. under the internal address bar?

Tiam [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I have the same problem with both Firefox and IE.

Tiam [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I have the AVG free running and it does not find anything. These links just appear out of thin air to google search bar if You press space bar.

noelluna [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I just discovered the same problem, that is how I got to this sight. I have AVG free too. This site popped up when I cursured over my google search bar as if it is a site I have been to. I am using windows explorer. ?????

Tiam [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I downloaded Kaspersky and it did not find any malware but one troyan downloader. But afeter removing this it still has those pages on search bar.

surf [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I am using Internet Explorer 7......what is AVG Free?

CRH [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

These four links are commonly entered into google with a "space" at the beginning. If you start your search by typing a space, Google will helpfully suggest them to you. :)

surf [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

No.....This is not whats happening. I realize that when I initiate a search that different suggestions pop up. As I already stated, when the search bar in the CENTER OF THE GOOGLE PAGE is blank. I walk away from my computer only to come back and find these 4 website (THE SAME 4) ALREADY TYPED OUT under the search bar, just waiting for me either hit enter and visit or if I hit my search bar to type THEY DISAPPEAR.

Tiam [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I agree with surf! This thing is new to me too. I first noticed it yesterday.

bo [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

ya i discovered this at my buddys lastnight and how been trying to figure out wtf miffy miffy is and what its all about... aparently its a small bunny character in europe or something but ive been mind boggled on why all this stuff comes up.... if i go to my home page on google and push spacebar it comes up and gives me a bunch of chinese results....
what is this?!?!?!?!?

George R [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Is google suggest enabled?
Try turning off google suggest.
You can control this from your preferences.

If you do not want to change your preferences, you can use the below link for an instance of the google search page with suggest turned off.
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!