Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Village mob thwarts Street View car  (View post)

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Friday, April 3, 2009
15 years ago4,969 views

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6022902.ece

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Adrian near Seattle [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Long live Ludditism!

Much ado 'bout nada--they're scared of the Bogeyman, when the real Bogeymen are elsewhere.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> how dare anyone take a photograph of my home without my consent

This is so ridicoulous I'm out of words. Please, if somebody lives in the vicinity of this guy, i'll pay $20 for a photo of his house. :-]

Mapper99 [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Too Funny!

Bob Jones [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

Presumably they'll be stopping anybody who walks down their street who might take a photo, or even just remember the house ...

Veky [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

That's why I'm paying hard cash. ;-] You risk your life, but at least you get $20. :-D

K [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

From Reddi (http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/89otj/angry_villagers_tackle_google_camera_car/)t:
"itrends

Just listened to this guy on the radio along with a guy from Google.

Essentially, he said that he saw the google car, went and had a chat. He said the guy driving the car stopped and was very nice. He said the car driver understood their view, carefully explained that they are within the law. A few other people from the village turned up and had a talk too.

So really, it's not a massive issue and they did not block the car etc. They just wanted to know the why / how / when of it all and then express that many of them didn't want to have a part of it.

Google man on radio explained that it is legal and that they can request house photos be removed via the google maps website... however many text / phone / email messages into the show said that they have not been able to get their properties removed. One person even tried to get photos that included the coffin of his brothers funeral removed... google removed one, but move up the street a bit and you can see it again.

Just thought you might like to know what the actual person said today rather than the "quoted" news version."

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[Thanks K, I'm trying to contact the commenter]

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Thank you, K.

Banner Printing [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Thanks for the humorous post K. It really made my day. Hey that rhymed!

Robert Sullivan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I love the headline: "Village mob thwarts Street View car". So Frankenstein. When a community stops a perceived threat it is called 'community action'. When it stops Google maps they're called a mob. To play the Devil's advocate. It is perfectly reasonable to think that after a spate of local burglaries, people would not want their houses photographed and put on the Web.

Eugene Villar [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Isn't the word "attack" on the blog post a bit sensational, like the blog equivalent of a tabloid article?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!