Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps and Personalization  (View post)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, April 7, 2009
15 years ago3,862 views

By complete contrast, when I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago I was trying to find The Three Sisters pub. So I took out my iPhone, switched on "My Location" so it knew where I was using GPS, and then searched Google Maps for [three sisters]. It proceeded to give me directions to the Three Sisters Guest Farm in South Africa!

Brian Bukowski [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have to agree with this. I have found that google's local 'sticky-ness' to be a bit too much more times than not. I travel allot, using google maps to orient myself. If I had a dollar for every time I felt the need to cleary cookies to find the map I actually wanted...

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

They could pop-up a Google Gears box asking users to authorize google.com/maps for advanced location capabilities. It would be a huge boost for the technology. And a good way to improve relevance. May also be "evil borderline".

Banner Printing [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

A bigger standard map would clear all the confusion in my opinion. Just roads and landmarks for easier navigation since we normally just use it to orient ourselves with a certain city or place when we travel.

And just like Tony's story, please help keep the searches inside the country we search in.

I hope this gets heard and some improvements are made for the better enjoyment and usage of the maps we find so vital to our existence.

Thanks!

Alex Zhang [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I use google map for iphone in China and found the same question. When I try to search a local place in Beijing, google map give me a result in Japan, and a hiking road, so funny.
Also I found Chinese map's gps data is not correct, there is some horizontal and vertical offset.

Acharya [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

It was a good result now, do not criticise it so harshly. Ten times out of nine locally relevant data is the one being searched for. And google did give a link to what you were actually thinking of.

WebWalla [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Probably due to greater localization ...

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-becomes-more-local.html

Jan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Actually I'd prefer a result like this to have found a map of Japan. In most cases I'm searching locally. And the link does provide all I need in case I'm going international.

Tomas Kapler [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

It is working correctly – in most cases you are searching on map your neigberhood. The map work simpy – it searches the actualu viewport of your map first and try to find what you are looking for there. So if you have on the map map of the Berlin, it shows results from Berlin. If you would have a global map, it would try to find the most relevant first from global net

Vlad [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Hey Phillip, Thanks for reporting this. We're looking into it.

frank burns [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Don't confuse clear logical thought opposed to spamming, I generally come up with ideas and they usually fade just as quickly.
[put at-character here]maps If you can devise technology to focus on cities and other locations around the world where users can save that location as their favorite, then if they're logged in why not affix their API Key or user number to the location they have saved. This approach would definitely keep hackers and unscrupulous people from saving highly sensitive sites. It would also be a new approach towards protecting our borders, each user identifiable number would be recorded("For security reasons") and passed on to an appropriate agency if there was ever a need. We're all facing new challenges as we strive for a better & safer world. Thank You

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!