Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Backup - Safer is better

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, April 25, 2009
15 years ago4,489 views

I found an application to make a backup from Gmail messages. Does anyone have experience with this tool?

gmail-backup.com [be aware some people consider this site a security risk/ scam. careful where you enter your password; you may only want to enter it when there's google.com as domain. -Philipp]

KMB [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

Security risks/scam, they take over your password and all data in your Google Account. And can login to all other sites with the same password.

You can backup your mail with a ordinary e-mail client, you only have to enable POP or IMAP in your Gmail settings.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I've been using it for several months now. It's great.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ludwik The webmaster of the site thanks you for your Gmail password.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

What about using a regular mail client like Thunderbird, Outlook or Evolution?

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'd stick with POP3 clients... This tool may be great if it was open source (so we can see what it's happening under the hood and, eventually, trust it).

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

That's exactly the reason that I wanted to post it here first to see if anyone had experince with it. The password crossed my mind to and it's a risk indeed...what if you use AdSense, Analytics, AdWords and so on...

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]TOMHTML – you don't give out the password to the site. The software runs on your computer and you can see exactly what it is doing, and where it connects.
The program works great, backups everything, including labels and let you to restore you gmail account exactly the way it was. I've been using it for a while and haven't had any problems.

KMB [PersonRank 7]

15 years ago #

You can't see what the program is doing, it's not open source:
"we cannot see the source code of your software this is a perfectly reasonable to assume. It has already been discovered after decompiling another program that did the same job, that the developer was indeed sending collected user details to his own account. The program in question is called G-Archiver, read more here http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2008/03/13052/ "
www.gmail-backup.com/open-source

Edwin Ye [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

If you need backup automation please check out this one: [GmailKeeper.com]

[careful with any app that asks you to enter your Google password, unless you're in a browser you opened with google.com in the address bar]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!