Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Can a YouTube clone run on Google App Engine? 50+TB bandwidth/month

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 5, 2009
15 years ago4,881 views

The question might sound stupid. That's because I'm a beginner at php, js etc...

But I recently was able launch a successful youtube clone. It gained attention in the media, etc. and I recently exchanged contracts with a few big music bands and organizations and its growing rapidly. I really need help from "blogoscopeders" on deciding the future.

I'm very confused by the Google App Engine. And need advise before I start the recoding.

Should I continue to host my site on the dedicated servers and just keep on adding servers or can I build it on Google App Engine or Amazon? (5+TB of space, 50+TB of bandwidth) Should I use Google Web Kit or stick to the basic PHP & JS?

(If you know the site, don't mention it as it might get indexed by search engines)

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

If you have a clean code-base, you should be able to create a prototype on google app-engine in no-time.

So my advice is: do a trial run.

If your not being to commercial, someone here might want to take a look at it, and give feedback.

15 years ago #

Does google app engine have support for ffmpeg, mencoder, mplayer, etc. to convert videos into *.flv extention?

15 years ago #

I don't want to mention the site yet, but it's based on the clip-share.com script.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

No, you can't. App Engine's limits are:
1,046 GB/day bandwidth --> about 30 TB/month
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html

15 years ago #

Thanks Alex!

15 years ago #

What hosting would you recommend for a large scale youtube clone, requiring more then one server? Are there good services that don't require server maintenance and going through the pain of distributing the program between multiple servers?

IBM Blue cloud, AWS, etc...

15 years ago #

This topic is closed. I figured out the whole cloud computing and web libraries thing. I think I'm back on track! Thanks to all:)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!