Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] My Facebook has been wrongly deleted

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 11, 2009
15 years ago6,402 views

Hey guys, forgive me for making this type of post, but my Facebook has been deleted and upon some investigation, it seems this happens to a lot of people

http://pinstack.blogspot.com/2009/05/facebook-stop-deleting-our-accounts.html
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111455542032

Facebook automatically detects anything spam-like, or seemingly spam-like, and may automatically suspend of disable accounts. Facebook shouldn't be able to delete accounts on a whim. There should always be adequate warning and explanation. People entrust way too much information to Facebook for them to be able to delete it because your activity is similar to spam. Most often, the victims are honest users who aren't spamming.

Gah, i'm very frustrated. Anyways, thanks to anyone who joins reads the post and joins the group

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It raises the issue of Data Portability once more. A friend got the same issue and even phonecalls and such didn't do a thing.
Same for Gmail.
Both joined the data portability team, but no result at all.

An article on that matter on Blogoscoped could be really useful imho.

Philipp ?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Is there something like a Facebook support email? And if so, do they ever react? I remember some of us once writing to Facebook to alert them of a privacy vulnerability, but we never heard back.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Yeah, they have a number of different email addresses
warning[put at-character here]facebook.com
disabled[put at-character here]facebook.com
abuse[put at-character here]facebook.com
appeals[put at-character here]facebook.com
customerservice[put at-character here]facebook.com
and from my reading on blogs and the many facebook groups created for this, they almost never respond.

calling them doesn't do anything as they don't do customer support over the phone

they are notorious for this. it's scary how much we trust them and how easily they can erase everything we have. i had invested a lot of time into my account and not having it now is driving me crazy.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]DPic you can't poke anymore? Go on MySpace! -_-'
I understand you dude, that sucks. But are you sure that it's Facebook who deleted your account, and not someone who stole your password?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Absolutely sure. Logging in displays a message that my account has been disabled, and i got a warning email from facebook less than 30 minutes before it happened (keep in mind i didn't access facebook in between the warning and the actual ban). This is apparently a really widespread issue and nobody had made a big enough fuss about it!

Dianne McInnis [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

This may blow your mind but I do want my facebook deleted and I can't see anywhere how to do it. I really am confused at the excitement of Facebook. I have been on maybe two weeks and have found it like being a 14 year old keeping up with my friends. Old women doing all the "what mom are you really like" or what character in "Star Wars" are you closest to" really blows my mind. I did one of those but then the next day I find a dozen more to do. I prefer to think I am like no one else....that works for me. I do keep up with people I want to keep up with and should I want to talk with the others I can call. I find it strange that I get a message on my wall but then I get the message in an email. I don't like having to choose my friends, all of these people are my friends. It does not occupy all my time for I seldom get on or if I do I get perturbed at all the things stuck in every corner to do and I yet to figure it all out....nor do I want to. It's amazing to me that this is really not up my alley, most people find me very in-mature so you would think I would like this. . . . . not! So tell me how ot get the Lucedale out of facebook, please.

[Email address removed, answers are best posted to the forum – Tony]

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It's true, they can close your account, but it's never really deleted. They keep all oyur information. So they won't delete it if you want them to, but they'll disable it when you don't. I also posted an appeal on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB3JeQQSB8g

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Dianne, just go here (and get ready to be told how all your friends will miss you): http://www.facebook.com/deactivate.php

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!