Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Memorial Day Ribbon  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 25, 2009
15 years ago6,434 views

Hopefully this year we'll no longer see articles like:

Google Ignores Memorial Day…Again!
Why Doesn't Google Honor Memorial Day in the US?
etc.

The homepage has a little ribbon.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7899/memorialday.png

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Indeed, I never liked those articles, and I felt Google should only change doodles when the event in question was based around art or creativity or science or knowledge, not war.

I think it's good that maybe they also think this and have placed a ribbon instead.

Above 2 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Caibil [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

War is the last resource, Google should not encourage this!! like soldier you know the risks of the job and the duty, who needs a massive celebration of something that keep you away of your loved ones.

cormac [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]caibil – I think Google are celebrating the memory of soldiers who have died for their country, they're not celebrating war.

evie [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I think it's terrible that all our soldiers, who risk their lives and have lost their lives securing our freedom, only get a yellow ribbon!!! The Google "banner" should have changed. We may not support the war, but we should definitely support those who are made to fight it!!!

Justme [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Instead of ignoring Memorial Day like usual, they decided to politicize it by placing a yellow ribbon with no caption instead of perhaps the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or a US Flag at half mast. They shouldn't have wasted their time. The people who were angry with them before will still be angry and the people who agree with them apparently don't get it.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

http://www.google.com/ribbon_blk.gif

black ribbon on Google South Korea home page, because former president is dead.
http://www.google.co.kr/webhp?hl=ko

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Quit your whinging. War is tragic, not a celebration.

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

And YouTube is showing BBQ videos on the homepage. Memorial Day Cook Out: "You can grill all year round, but BBQ season officially opens on Memorial Day."

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Obviously, some people are still disappointed. From Twitter:

" is bummed that all Google can muster on this Memorial Day is a yellow ribbon. Sad.Those we honor today are not coming home."

"so, google isn't goignt o do a special logo for memorial day? bunk! and no, that yellow ribbon doesn't cut it! ungrateful bastards. "

"With all the graphics google does for little known holidays all they have for fallen soldiers is a barely noticeable yellow ribbon "

Maybe Google should just show some horrible images from the war to those that are unhappy with the ribbon.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Ah, Google and their fantastic efforts in hopelessly trying to please everyone. That's the damnation of public companies. Every single one of their goals and principles has been compromised into oblivion.

There are things where you just don't compromise. Not just as a matter of philosophy, but you really don't accomplish anything positive. The people on the one side are appaled, the people on the other are insulted.

milivella [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It was not a ribbon, it was a towel!
http://www.towelday.org/

;)

Korean [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

let me tell you the truth.
chief web designer of the google is korean-american.
and yellow ribbon symbolize korean ex-president Mr.Roh who committed suicide few days ago.
Korean people express their sorrow at his death using this yellow ribbon.

Chuck [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I don't think it's right for people to tell a company what they can and cannot do. I was disappointed Google did nothing. But it is their right of free speech and free enterprise not to celebrate Memorial Day. For the people who are proud of themeselves and others who don't celebrate Memorial Day, shame on you.

Dr.S.P.Padmaprasad [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Does these ribbons are put with such symbolism! A fine idea indeed, on the part of Google team!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!