Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Abuse Reports.... A Dead End

Harassed [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, June 16, 2009
15 years ago2,636 views

Google doesn't seem to do anything with abuse reports. It is so frustrating to be a victim of harassment on their site and find out that there is nothing you can do about it other than to click an abuse link and fill out a form that invariably falls on deaf ears. If my career suffers due to the defamatory things that someone has been posting with my name attached, Google will have to deal with not just removing a profile, but also with compliance to a subpoena (and after that probably a lawsuit). I wish the abuse reports led to results or that there was another avenue to address such concerns.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<< Pretty much the only removals (at least in the U.S., which is what I know about) that we do for legal reasons are if a court orders us. We typically say that if person A doesn’t like a webpage B, only removing page B out of Google’s search results doesn’t do any good because webpage B is still there (e.g. it can be found by going to it directly or through other search engines). In that sense, the presence of that page in Google’s index is just reflecting the fact that the page exists on the wider web. >>

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/remove-page-from-google/

Harassed [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Yes I agree, but in this case the issue is with a google-owned site... I have tried both reporting the offending profile and reporting it to be removed from google results with no success...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I also had an unsatisfying experience with a Google abuse report.

I clicked on the AdSense abuse link to report that a site was running AdSense on a splog (a blog that was automatically generated by running other people's blog posts through a thesaurus). It was so obviously a splog that I was sure Google would cancel the perpetrators AdSense account, removing the financial incentive for the splogger.

But no, I just got an automated mail telling me to use the DMCA to get the splog taken down.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!