Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Microsoft's Browser Comparison Chart  (View post)

Ino Detelic [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, June 18, 2009
14 years ago12,431 views

"Only Internet Explorer 8 has both tab isolation and crash recovery features; Firefox and Chrome have one or the other."

Doesn't chrome have tab isolation? Each tab has its own process in the task manager.

"Sure, Firefox may win in sheer number of add-ons, but many of the customizations you'd want to download for Firefox are already a part of Internet Explorer 8 – right out of the box."

Like what?

Mosh [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Ooh, I must get this IE8 thing. Where do I download the Linux version?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I rang Microsoft Ireland about a Mac version and when they said there wasn't one, I asked why they were excluding Mac users from such a great browser. They told me Mac users wouldn't use Internet Explorer if they did offer it and I asked why. They told me Safari was more popular, and I said Chrome and Safari are basically the same browser, so if IE is better than Chrome in so many ways – why are they discriminating against Mac users.

The rep had nothing to do with Internet Explorer (I called the Windows Support team :P) but she was finding it very hard to explain why there was no Mac version without dissing Internet Explorer herself.

IRL Trolling FTW.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

See also: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/156241.html

Ray West [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I have used 'em all.
Recently using Chrome I ran into a site that according to Google's crawl history – was known to be infected – this was a legitimate business – but Chrome's warning was adamant and they even had an occurrence report to back it up, so an innocent site had been hijacked.

I opened IE7 and located the same URL – guess what – no warning – but as soon as the page opened I knew I was getting a download that I never asked for...some crap security product that reminds me every 2 minutes to buy it or enrol or whatever and just so that I know that I should have it they paste text all over my desktop. Took me 20 minutes to dump it.
So Microsoft dudes whaddya say...?

PS does Goog drop some kinda of marker on the site that can only be read by Chrome...I am still trying trying to figure it out...but I like the service!

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Ray West, we publish a "suspected of bad stuff" blacklist (malware, phishing, etc.) that any browser is welcome to download and use. I think Firefox and Safari use our list in addition to Chrome, for example. Sorry to hear that IE didn't protect you on that site.

Jaan Kanellis [PersonRank 3]

14 years ago #

Matt C what is the link?

F.O.R. [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

What I find most interesting from that comparison chart is the browsers that MS decided to include.

Certainly, a comparison with Firefox is an industry standard – but including Chrome (and being silent on Opera) is a validation of the G-Browser. Regardless of the propaganda, that page might hurt more than help (from a MS perspective).

Then again, *we* are still supporting IE6 for now (don't get me started.. just pity us :)

maxx [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

the funny thing is.. most internet explorer users believe this.. :)

David [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

As long as MSIE users believe this, the virii makers will stay away from the better browsers. Like blood in the water :)

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Jaan, you can check it out in our Safe Browsing API http://code.google.com/apis/safebrowsing/

As far as I know, Firefox 3 uses the same API. It doesn't transfer actual URLs but rather works on a "hash" basis, so that the amount of data that needs to be transfered (and regularly updated) is not too massive.

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Let's continue the list! Who is in??

Browser Comparison Chart (Continued...)

Features | I.E. | F.F. | Chrome | Comments

CPU Hungry | Yes | No | No | Neither Fire Fox or Chrome make much use of your CPU.

Neil Fraser [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I love the HTML for that page. In particular:
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
if(navigator.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)
document.write(unescape('%3C')+'!-'+'-')//-->
</script>
Which basically says, "If you are IE, comment out the rest of the page, other browsers can handle it."

[Line break added to fix formatting in Chrome – Tony]

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Slow & Painful Upgrades | Yes | No | No | Only Internet Explorer let's you experience and re-experience the true meaning of upgrades. We'll even force a restart for you!

FirefoxLover [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

So who in their right mind would give IE kudos for Ease Of Use? You try to install an extension and it installs an application onto your system. What?? I drop an extension into FireFox and you wanna guess where it gets installed. <ding, ding> Yep, into the application NOT into the operating system. Obviously Microsoft still does not distinguish between the OS and applications. Go to Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs to get rid of that tiny little IE extension that doesn't do what you wanted it to do. That's user friendly? LOL

IE8 includes all the features you want or need right out of the box. That's pretty easy to do when you're soooo late to the game. Just check out the competitors' features and figure out what to put into yours. Again don't get me started on the concept of bloatware. Some of us prefer to run a lot lighter apps.

Ron [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

BEST!

Bron Squire [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I could pick it to bits, too, but it seems everyone else already has :) except for one small thing.... and it's typical of anyone selling something, as who wants a "cross" next to something in their list....

"Internet Explorer 8 passes more of the World Wide Web Consortium's CSS 2.1 test cases than any other browser"

... And therefore "Web Standards" gets a tick. How does being better than the others (which is obvoiusly questionable in itself) made it a full tick for Web Standards? I see a tick, I think "nice, it's fully compliant with all web standards – dreaming!

At least they have some honesty in there with "Firefox 3 has more support for some evolving standards"

On another note, I don't recall installing any extensions ever for Chrome, therefore their developer tools must be built in. Another lie is highlighted.

Wow, it's all I can say, disappointing to see such a big "grown up" company start throwing mud around unnecessarily.

Polla [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

There is no browser better than FF, it is truly customizable even you may not recognize my FF after I turned it to what I love it to be.

JEShack [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

As what I've said on the previous thread:
....Give me all the links from other reviewers that conducted the same thang and let's slap it to ms face....

Terry [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Hey look, a subjective opinion checklist. I know I'm sold.

Dries [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

"Internet Explorer 8 passes more of the World Wide Web Consortium's CSS 2.1 test cases than any other browser"

that doesn't fix the designers problems. they better try to make patches to make sure older browsers can keep up with the new standards or just exclude the old versions and advise anyone to upgrade.

It's a pain in the ass!

I'll stick to Chrome if you ask me!

Anuj [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

"InPrivate Browsing and InPrivate Filtering help Internet Explorer 8 claim privacy victory"

Didn't Microsoft know that Chrome's Incognito window replicates this action? LOL

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

If you click on "Mythbusting" you'll see that Microsoft contributed thousands of those tests. I presume you don't contribute the tests that your browser fails on.

Spin, spin, spin.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

IE? Secure and easy to use? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... oh you gotta love the jokes M$ come up with :P

They've just compared themselves to two open source alternatives, which are (or will be) available on other OS. Open source is a big plus for many people and how about we bring in the issue of cost? To use IE you have to buy* Windows, the other two can run on Linux

*Yes I have heard of torrents, but lets keep this legal :P

[put at-character here]James
You really did that? Now I'm tempted to wind them up. DAMN YOU!

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mrrix32

Yeah, I really did. I tried to record it, and I thought I was but I got a new phone and mustn't have done it properly, or else I just can't find it on my phone.

I used this number: (+353)1850 940 940 which I got from http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/contact/

But if you want to do it, I guess you're going to want (+44)1-800-892-5234 (Customer Services Information) which I got from http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_more_master?ws=support%2csupport#tab1

Or, even better, (+44)1-800-642-7676 which is Product Sales and Licensing :D I got that number from http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_prodinfo_master?ws=support%2csupport#tab3

Happy Pranking! Remember to record it! :P

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The Mozilla Foundation has a very similar comparison chart:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html#feature-vsie

As one wag commented on slashdot, "Mozilla lied. They gave IE a tick for 'Compatible with modern Web pages and technologies'."

oholland [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I say to Ray West ...

If you think ME IS is crappy...don't use it. If you are using a PC and having full admin rights while doing your everyday thingy...your PC should be chock full of virus as that will server you well.

Foolish people think they are fully protected even when an antivirus software is up to date and working properly. Nice of you to test that out huh? IE 7 is fine, IE 8 is even better.

Be sure you system allow full admin security and use that user for your everyday use and have fun downloading viruses. Ignorance is a sweet thing bro. Some people never learn but love to bash about things that are their own ingorance.

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Any IE after 6 is a good browser for the internet. I personally think that they should be commended for IE 7. MS doesn't need to spin things to defend a decent product. Hell, there was a time that IE was ahead of Netscape and Opera in supporting web standards in the 1990's and early 2000's.

Sucks that they stooped to "unbiased" comparisons, especially now that IE 6 market share is shrinking as people and corporations get new computers. Ah well. I still prefer Firefox, but happily recommend latest and greatest IE to all who can upgrade.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Interesting how they don't even mention safari...

14 years ago #

Maybe because they don't have a Mac IE?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]James
You can get Safari on Windows now :P

14 years ago #

I know, but if they compared it directly to Safari, people would end up ringing about Mac support... oh wait.. :P

JEShack [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

apparently, the real thing is...

http://kilianvalkhof.com/ie8fun/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!