Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Massive filtering in Gmail

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

Saturday, June 20, 2009
15 years ago3,509 views

hello,

i was wondering if it possible to create a filter for messages sent from people in my address book without having to add those hundreds of contacts in a list that looks like "blah[put at-character here]blah OR blah[put at-character here] blah OR..."
Is there a simple shortcut to filter messages based on the entire address book ?

thank you

Surly Teabag [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

As far as I can tell, Gmail's filters do not currently have an "in:contacts" feature. (Your contacts are automatically whitelisted, but there's no obvious way to use this.) There is a tutorial on creating a blacklist filter,

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/create-email-blacklist-in-gmail.html

which would help to expedite the hand-crafting of such a filter.

There is a Firefox add-on,

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8262

that might possibly help. But no guarantees, as I haven't tested it.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The GOS converter is great but it doesn't help when you want to filter mails by contact and not email address, since the "email" link select the primary email addresses of the contacts in the group. But I want my filters to work for all emails sent from a contact, not one email address of this contact.

I can't believe it' a very specific need. I've report this suggestion to Google many times, and there're only few demand in the forum.

A solution could easily be implemented with a Labs feature.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Even Yahoo Mail has an option to show only the messages sent by your contacts. I think Google should extend the from operator with the following options:

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

Well the think is that I have forwarded all my pro email to my personal Google apps accounts because i prefer Google to exchange. now I receive a tons of press releases every day and i want to make out email from a certain group of people in order to filter them and highlight them (yeh like in Yahoo! Mail). i believe a operator to filter messages by list or people in your addressbook woulld be nice

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!