Google Blogoscoped

Forum

HTC Hero, an Android-Based Phone (Video)  (View post)

hniu [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, June 24, 2009
15 years ago5,483 views

3:41 at the video: Does it run MS Exchange? Why not use Windows Mobile then?

imho, what really made Android special is full integration with Gmail, google talk, contacts and calendar. Here is the G1 introduction video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0neiwhdkiKk

If this is no longer possible on Hero, then Android here seems to be no more then a gimmick.

Sorry, if you've seen this comment on few other message boards. I thought that was quite important.

Wesley de Souza [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

This front user interface is just amazing, the smooth animations and its minimalism makes me want this phone, despite my preference over the iPhone OS.

Libran Lover [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

hniu,

What makes you think there is no full integration with Google products? I'd be very surprised if it were not there. Not just because Android is developed by Google, but simply because it makes a lot of sense to have that integration.

LL

Laughing John [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Libran Lover – I think you'll find they've replaced the google email client with their own and it may not have the same integration with Gmail. I'm sure you can send/receive email via gmail, but not so sure that contacts and calendar entries still sync. HTC needs to clarify this!

For me it looks great, my only gripes are:

1. Cannot install updates to Android (presumably there's a chance they will break/overwrite the HTC customization).
2. No flash on the camera.
3. Questions around synchronizing with the Google apps.

There does seem to be a bit of lag and a few bugs at the moment and as per usual there is a question of battery life with all that extra processing being done.

hniu [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

At the moment it seems like there isn't even gmail application available. I'm sure there will be one, but the "Google experience" OS is not just about being able to check your emails on the phone.

Did you see the old G1 video in my post? You sign into your google account and then your contacts, calendar, gtalk conversation etc. are always in full sync. Like using the same services through your PC browser. I doubt exchange would feel the same.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Google is the only reason for Android? Hell no. Android is seen as a "Google OS" for phones, but it's developed, used, promoted and funded by a huge number of other partners in the Open Handset Alliance.

hniu [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

There are gmail and googletalk icons at 0:48 in the video. Still not sure if there gonna be same level of integration with google services as in G1.

James Xuan: Android is great initiative and not just because of google. But for me as a user the main reason for buying it is google integration. If I was more interested in applications and physical design then windows mobile and iphone seem much more attractive now.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Windows mobile is never an attractive offering, but I see where you're coming from :D

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> HTC needs to clarify this!

No, it's already clear. This is an Android phone, but not a "Google Experience" Android phone. It won't have the Google logo on the case, and Google won't control the user "experience".

You can still get apps onto the phone from Android Market, so it's no big deal. It's not as if you're losing compatibility or anything. Just beware of future carrier-specific versions that might be crippled to meet the needs of the carrier (this applies to any phone, not just Android).

Here is how the levels work:

1. Full "Google Experience" device. Gets a Google logo on the phone. Must include a range of Google applications agreed between Google and the phone maker. Must provide unrestricted access to everything in the Android market.

2. "Distribution Agreement" device. Doesn't get a Google logo on the phone. Includes a range of Google applications agreed between Google and the phone maker. Can provide access to the Android market.

3. Generic device. Doesn't get a Google logo on the phone. Doesn't need Google's permission or agreement, because Android is already freely-licensed. Can only provide access to Google applications that Google makes generally available, and can't preload them. It's not 100% clear that it can provide access to the Android market, but my guess is yes.

The HTC Hero is a "Distribution Agreement" device. More details about the different levels here:

Google: expect 18 Android phones by year's end
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/google-expect-18-android-phones-by-years-end/

hniu [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Logo obviously is not important. The big question is would it be possible to achieve the same level of sync with google services as in G1? Like phone contacts being constantly in sync with google contacts.

I guess we'll have to wait for more detailed reviews.

Bob [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

The things that sucks about this phone is the shape..it won't fit quite good in your pocket becaus it's almost bend 45 degrees in the lower part :(

Sim Only [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

The new HTC Hero looks brilliant. I have just got the HTC Magic and I am tied up in an 18 month so I wont be getting one :-(

Very hard to keep up to date with the latest handsets.

coolfx35 [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I'm not going to compare it to the iPhone because they are very different animals, all I have to say is that Android's community support is phenomenal, it's the reason I got the G1 and so far I'm stoked with the way things are going.

The phone/OS hasn't been out for a year and look where we are at already; almost every user/community request has been answered or is being worked on; either officially or by the community itself, the point is that it's a huge open source success.

happy to see a phone like the HTC Hero coming to the U.S. Market, already found forum for it at www.HTC-Hero.com let's get some discussions going guys.

[Unlinked – Tony]

deanimator [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I can live without animation. Sheesh.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!