Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How to Get Birthday Reminders on Android?  (View post)

imma [PersonRank 3]

Tuesday, July 7, 2009
15 years ago44,569 views

Set up a Pop up reminder or Email reminder on the calendar event or on the calendar generically ;-)

Dropdown to the right of the calendar name, calendar settings, notifications 'tab' at the top, add a reminder

thegirlinthecafe [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

The native calendar app on Android does not support the birthday field yet :(There are some apps available in the Android Market for birthdays, but none of them do (yet) make use of the birthday field in contacts yet.

Hopefully the next Android system upgrade will make the birthday field available.

imma [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

or per event – edit event, under options on the right, add reminder

imma [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

oh, sorry :-(massive missunderstanding there by me ... i've been using a 'birthdays' calendar for ages. Very sorry :-(

Ian Y. [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I did the same thing but found the best way is to use Google calendar and made a reccuring event every year for the birthday event. I set it up to send a reminder email a week before so I have time to buy and ship the birthday present.
You might find as I did that having someones birthday does not necessarily mean you want to be reminded about it. So the above might be the best approach.
Hope you like your G1 phone. I just got a HTC dream a few days ago. So far so good.

Henning [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

As the birthday field was only added very recently (http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-fields-for-gmail-contacts-and.html) to Google contacts, there currently is no use of that field in the apps provided with Android 1.5.

Google could, however, make server-sided use of them and automatically generate a calendar of those dates. However, that hasn't happened yet.

Alberto [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Somewhat related, I am thinking of getting the HTC Magic, but I hesitate because I can't find anywhere on the online internets if it will be able to sync to Address Book and Calendar on my MacBook via Bluetooth. Anybody knows if this is possible, if iSync plugins exist for the Magic?

I manage my contacts on the Address Book on my Mac. The Mac automatically creates birthday events in Calendar, which then sync automatically to my (currently Nokia) phone.

Bastian [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Check the app "EboBirthday" from the market.

You can add birthdays and for your contacts (they are currently stored in the comment field) and it can export them to your google calendar.

eyesofibad [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I use http://www.fbcal.com/about.php and subscribe to it through Google calendar. And I don't even have to put them in :)

Michael Martin [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Alberto,

I believe Spanning Sync will solve your concern as it synchronizes iCal and the address book with Google Calendar and Gmail Contacts which is what syncs with your Android phone.

As a note I have the Google Ion that is the HTC Magic phone which Google gave to those attending Google IO back in May and love it.

I should also disclose that I run one of the top Android sites – http://www.googleandblog.com/ – and recently spoke on Android at SMX Advanced – so please let me know any further Android questions.

,Michael Martin
GoogleAndBlog

Alberto [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Michael

The thing is that that would make Google my central/master repository for my contact and calendar info. I would rather have that be my MacBook. My ideal solution would be to use iSync to sync between the HTC phone and my Mac.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!