Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Some Google searches = no ads?

Justin de la Cruz [PersonRank 1]

Friday, July 10, 2009
14 years ago2,477 views

I've noticed lately that some Google searches don't come up with text ads in the right column of the screen. I noticed it after a search for an obscure name, and then I moved to more common things like "guess," which initially did not come up with ads, and then a while later did (with just one --- for the jeans company).

Some of the more commercialized type things (digital cameras, grass?) still come up with a string of right column ads. But more abstract concepts (question, freedom) sometimes do, sometimes don't. Is there some recent move to cut down on ad clutter?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I have also noticed this here in Ireland over the last few weeks, perhaps less people are because of the recession?

Mksoccer00 [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I haven't heard of any cut down on ad clutter but there might be... not sure

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Google's ad policies factor "relevance" into the minimum bid price, and it has become harder to target ads to some things which aren't saleable products or services (like "freedom").

But I'm surprised you're not seeing ads for "question". It seems that Ask has had an unlimited advertising budget for this keyword for years now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!