Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Marissa Mayer DIGG Dialogg Interview with Kevin Rose  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, July 30, 2009
14 years ago14,192 views

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5826774&amp

Kevin Rose asked Marissa Mayer the top 10 most dugg user submitted questions for this week's Digg Dialogg.

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

IMO, Google has a HUGE secret. Question #2 hints at it. Google is indeed strongly encouraging everyone to move to the cloud. And like the question says, not everyone has a super fast internet connection.

But these web apps are "good enough" for now.

Google's huge secret is that THEY will provide the super-fast internet connection. To everyone. Wirelessly. For free.

Then everything will start to make sense.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> "The questions were:"
Thanks. What were the interesting answers? Can't watch the video from here.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I felt at the end of Question 2 that Kevin should have asked about Google Drive, she seemed dangerously close to talking about it. And while CJ's theory sounds implausible and utopian, but remember the 700Mhz auction?

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The world according to Google: Fast wireless internet Google connection to everyone with a device running Google OS accessing Google applications.

Jimmy J [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

"right" has become the new verbal crutch to replace "like"

Pace S [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Marissa Mayer is Vice President of Search Product and User Experience at Google. What disturbs me about this interview is at the end she suggests that Online Anonymity is highly over-rated and that there should be be less expectation of it.

Anonymity has always been an essential component to Free Speech such as authors using a Nom de Plume. The very fact she asserts – that people would behave more responsibly and politely without anonymity – is precisely the reason anonymity is important to free expression.

Considering Google is the Safe-keeper of so much personal data, Mayer's suggestion is very irresponsible.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

From Wikipedia:

<<Anonymity may reduce the accountability one perceives to have for their actions, and removes the impact these actions might otherwise have on their reputation. This can have dramatic effects, both useful and harmful.

In conversational settings, anonymity may allow people to reveal personal history and feelings without fear of later embarrassment. Electronic conversational media can provide physical isolation, in addition to anonymity. This prevents physical retaliation for remarks, and prevents negative or taboo behavior or discussion from tarnishing the reputation of the speaker. This can be beneficial when discussing very private matters, or taboo subjects or expressing views or revealing facts which may put someone in physical, financial, or legal danger (such as illegal activity, or unpopular or outlawed political views).

With few perceived negative consequences, anonymous or semi-anonymous forums often provide a soapbox for disruptive conversational behavior. The term Internet troll is sometimes used to refer to those who do this online.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymity#Anonymity_and_social_situations

If in an online directory you would review a restaurant, or say, a doctor you went to, would you sometimes rather do it anonymously (so you can be more honest, not less honest)?

ahab [PersonRank 5]

14 years ago #

Being known guards us against speaking our mind freely and unrestricted. This can however also have the adverse effect that one restricts oneself to much, i.e. one applies self-censorship.

The self-censorship makes it harder to rate the quality of a comment.

E.g. when I say 'Blogoscoped is a great blog', I have – when the comment bears my name – something to gain from it, i.e. the reciprocal respect of the creator of the blog.
Should however I say the same as a total anonymous then I have nothing to gain and may statement may be worth much more.

It is not without a reason that many polls allow those answering to be anonymous, the ansers are bound to be more truthful because of this.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!