Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Voice Payed?

Ahron Shmuel [PersonRank 1]

Friday, July 31, 2009
14 years ago2,910 views

It looks like GV will be a payed program. I tried clicking on the change number, and am told that it costs $10. http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115114

I guess that means registration won't be free either. I guess it won't be like other Google programs. I was really looking forward to being able to click call links in GMail, and having one contact program that could email,call,cand mark on calendar.

Maybe they'll give beta testers free like microsoft :) http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/30/showing-our-thanks-to-windows-7-beta-testers.aspx

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Changing your number costs $10, but the service is free.

Surly Teabag [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

The linked page is talking about a $10 charge if you want to *change* your Google Voice number. The first Google Voice number is free. Assuming it works like GrandCentral, you will be able to pick an area code, and then pick from a bunch of available phone numbers. The only other planned charges that I know of are for international calls which are priced at around the Skype rate for calls to phones outside the U.S..

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

When Google Voice was GrandCentral, their main focus was providing a free phone number for life. I am certain that Google will continue this. There may be premium add ons in the future, but the number will remain free.

Ahron Shmuel [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

My point was that if they charge to change a number, it would not be a very fiscal decision to allow you to just register a new one for free.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ahron:

If changing the number was free, people would change it very often, even if it's not necessary. When you need to pay a small fee, you'll change the number only when it's really necessary.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!