Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Anil Dash On Google Wave; Is the Wave Framework Too Complicated to Be Adopted?  (View post)

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, August 8, 2009
14 years ago6,450 views

Why does he always do Anti-Google writings....

like: http://dashes.com/anil/2009/07/googles-microsoft-moment.html

Why?

My point is, Google is trying to fix the issues in email and IM by introducing Wave...

>> Upgrades to the web are incremental
-- So in that case, we would need to wait for years to get a product as good as Google Wave

>> Understanding new tech needs to be a weekend-sized problem
-- Is that so?

>> There has to be value before everybody has upgraded
-- The first person to enter twitter and facebook were also "shouting in an empty room"

>> You have to be able to understand and explain it
-- There was nothing like Wave before it so how can you expect it to be explained just like that...

I am not sure if everyone agrees but this is what I feel... may be better logics can change my thoughts but till then I am sticking to this. :P

Hugh Isaacs II [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

My question is, would he still have these sentiments if Google Wave were just a product without aims of being a federated protocol? (Microsoft too as they've said the same thing)

Because as I see it, whether or not other companies adopt Wave, Google could still make this into a very successful product. The underline here is that Wave being open sourced allows them to speed up it's development into more than it already is allowing it to stick around just as long as e-mail has, maybe without Google in the end.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Good point, Hugh.

zato [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Inferno commented: "Why does he always do Anti-Google writings.... Why does he always do Anti-Google writings.... "

Anil Dash is a Microsoft propagandist. This post by Anil is no doubt the first of many to come which will attempt to discredit Wave and Google in order to limit its success once it is public.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

<<This post by Anil is no doubt the first of many to come which will attempt to discredit Wave and Google in order to limit its success once it is public.>>

Which of course is only until Wave actually comes out and the net is swept up in it. From what i've read, Google Wave will kick some serious ass, and i doubt the propaganda will do shit.

Anil Dash [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

"Why does he always do Anti-Google writings...."

If you think a post I wrote where I say "I hope Wave succeeds" is an anti-Google post, then you're either an imbecile or so slanted towards Google that you have lost perspective. Offering criticism is something you do when you *want* an effort to succeed.

"Anil Dash is a Microsoft propagandist."

Zato, this is ridiculous. I have zero association with Microsoft, and except for my mouse and sometimes firing up PowerPoint, I don't even use any of their products. It seems like there's some weird kind of insecurity about Google here, like you're trying to be uncritical fanboys instead of thoughtful people appreciating and understanding what Google does.

DPic and others keep saying "From what i've read, Google Wave will kick some serious ass", but my opinion is formed from both *actually having used Wave* and from trying to hack on it. Experience and facts trump mindless fanboyism, unfortunately. I said Knol was misguided, and somehow it seems to have not displaced Wikipedia since its launch. Perhaps if more people had offered helpful criticism of it instead of just fawning over everything Google launches, it might have succeeded.

ahab [PersonRank 5]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Anil Dash
"Perhaps if more people had offered helpful criticism of it instead of just fawning over everything Google launches, it might have succeeded."
I'm afraid even that is no guarantee for success. Google Docs has had my devoted attention *and* harsh criticism (at least that's how I think of it) even from the early days that Google Labs Spreadsheet merged with Writely. But the effect of both seems to border on nil as Google blindly makes out its own way.
In this respect Google is no better that the mogul companies IBM and Microsoft that each put their stamp on a computer era.

I'm very worried about what you call 'fanboyism'. These fans appear sometimes to be so uncritical of the company they root for that they can't recognize constructive criticism and always try to pull opinions into being 'black' or 'white'. This virtually always leads to a lose-lose situation while being opinionated in order the help delevelopment can lead to the opposite: win-win!

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Anil
Hey... I just gave my opinion and you offened me... So we are not that different afterall :D

Anyways... I think if someone says that a product is so much flawed than he/she should not hope for it to suceed as that would be better for everyone.

How can some say: that car has no brake, it runs on twice the amount of fuel. I hope it suceeds.

BTW... I am slanted towards Google! Because I know the difference between the Microsoft moment and the Google moment. :D

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Anil:

> and except for my mouse and sometimes firing up
> PowerPoint, I don't even use any of their products

Not even one of their operating systems?

Olaf Lederer [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

He could be right, I watched the wave video from the google conference and was really surprised about the new service.

The system look really complex... can't wait to try it :)

Matt Moran [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I think it looks like a great system, but what will really make or break it will be how well it plays with other forms of social media such as Twitter, Friendfeed & Facebook. From what I've seen it'll be easy enough to integrate so I can see myself becoming a very keen user.

que [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Matt, I don't think Friendfeed consideration is relevant – or won't be – any longer.

George Por [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

"Why will the Google Wave succeed, in spite itself?" That's the title of an essay that I've just finished writing. I wrote “in spite itself” because Anil Dash’ critique, based on which he predicted the failure of the Wave, is worth paying attention to, at least on 3 points:

a. “It’s too complex”
b. “There has to be value before everybody has upgraded”
c. “You have to be able to understand and explain it”

The essay grew out from my critique of his critique of the Wave then went to cover topics as diverse as "Flow and Chaos – two scenarios of the near future," "Attention elasticity and the Wave," "We are the message," Doug Engelbart' proto-hypertext Augment system, Stowe Boyd's vision of the “Web of Flow,” and Mitch Kapor on Second Life and the opportunity to participate in the creation of a new world.

You can download it from here:
http://www.twine.com/item/12xggpnf0-38v/why-will-google-wave-succeed-in-spite-itself?context=/user/technoshaman/items#

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!