Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Selling PCs Soon?  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, January 3, 2006
18 years ago

yes this appears to be true. I placed my entry here

http://peterdawson.typepad.com/blog/2006/01/ces_2006_keynot.html

I think googs will champion the Less then $100 Gadget via mini type browser (read as Opera) as the main UI interface for the gadget. This maybe distruptive technologies entering the market!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just had this strange idea... what if Google would put a small program on the PCs that would help them do calculations when the CPU is idle (like calculating the PageRank of the pages indexed), thus allowing them to make the PCs cheaper because they're outsourcing parts of their server farm?

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

The article is speculation, put simply this isn't happening. No where else is there anything about google being in talks with walmart. So no google is not going to be selling pc's soon. Though they sell search appliances...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Phillipp, lab2.google.com had leasing /thinslicing of CPI idle time for research purpose.
Its however dissappered as a link on their home page. I really wonder if their new OS will be the next cluster farming methods bought out and then used as as backend process for google harversting...there is something worthing in your thought process.

Noname [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

re Philipp: google can make go much further as search expert – they can offer metasearch of local comp with global sharing, they can monitor the user steps (pages, programs) and offer personalised ads, they can include and preselect their services (gmail for mail, google for search, multimedia search ....) . They can also use push service for showing their content on computer desktops, they can offer 3rd party web services ala office aps., games etc. With the power of google mark, they can offer even sharing of costs ala game console xbox etc.
I do not know if it would be all-in-one sollution (pc in the lcd), what would cost about 200$ or pc-only sollution + monitor, then the pc part could reach in such quantities about 100$.
50% of people on the earth got 10$ for month, so i doubt they would reach some part of them

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Its bunk:

http://www.gameshout.com/news/012006/article2296.htm

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

caleb: where is the official announcement from google ?? none yet ?? why ?? if its bunk --then the price movement will go down. If its not, then it will move upward. I just heard about the $600/- price too and posted above.

Piper Jaffray is not a a company that you ignore.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've contacted Google Press, let's see if they reply... usually if they do comment on something, they will send the same statement to everyone asking (that is, if they do reply at all).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!