Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps Images

Callum Prentice [PersonRank 1]

Friday, September 18, 2009
14 years ago2,897 views

I recently noticed that the Google Maps satellite photography of our office appears to have been replaced with a much older version.

The current version is here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1+fusionopolis+way,+singapore&sll=56.490671,-4.202646&sspn=32.815487,25.751953&ie=UTF8&ll=1.29885,103.787708&spn=0.007144,0.003144&t=h&z=18

and all one sees is a building site. Until a couple of weeks ago, the image showed the completed office.

I don't *think* it's a security related issue – I can't think of why that would be so anyway.

Anyone else know why this may have happened? Improved clarity in an older image perhaps?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Google did the same a couple of years ago with the images of my suburb in the UK. They replaced some fairly up-to-date images with more detailed images that were just over five years old. Maybe images as old as that are more affordable.

Presumably, over time, Google's new satellite will photograph the whole world and bring newer images.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!