14 years ago4,969 views

I believe you mean "Users" hate change

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

(Thanks, title fixed!)

Tom D [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Nielson is an idiot.

I never understood why this guy get's given so much cred.

One of the 10 commandments of designs, which every designer learns in the first at Uni, is: "Form follows function"...

Hence if you use web site uses design for designs sake rather than then assisting the user to achieve a certain task then I would say you should hire an actual designer. If you hired little Jimmy fresh out of high school because he was cheap perhaps you saved in the wrong area.

Ron [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Rear-view mirror: "Normal people don’t love sitting at their computers. They’d rather watch football ..."

Through the windshield: "Normal people love sitting at their computers. They’d only leave them to watch football and only because nfl.com doesn't broadcast live yet."

Mark [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I like using my computer :(

Certainly moreso than watching football.

Brad [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Am I the only one who still hasn't grown to like the iGoogle design changes which added tabs and squandered the left column real estate? I'd still like a choice. That's a change I'd like.

Ruben [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I totally agree with Nielson, in a lot of situations users don't like change in the begin of a new release of a website or product. Over time a better design will prove the need for change, b/c people will start to like it.

Mostly in situations where the previous implementation or design was really bad, users will immediately like the new changes...

Bob [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Ahhh but the thing is people can grow to like ANYTHING, whether the design is a good or bad one you will get used to it because after all it's there and you need to get things done

Ron [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Bob +1

ahab [PersonRank 5]

14 years ago #

Bob +2

Markus Friedrich [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Truth is: usually its not about usability, but about usability for marketings sake. That is about strong arming "users" into behaviour that is favoured by the guys who commissioned the webdesign.
usability should be friendly first.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!