Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Widget to Let Your Visitors Translate Your Page  (View post)

SE [PersonRank 2]

Thursday, October 1, 2009
14 years ago7,019 views

Is the gadget working in Google Sites now?

J [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

SE, good question.

Wondering indeed if this will work in Google Sites and in Blogger.

Probably you need a insert weblet instead of pasting the code I suppose.

J [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

Your HTML either contains unsafe tags (iframe, embed, styles, script) or extra attributes. They will be removed when the page is viewed.

When coptying the code into Google Sites.

:-(

I found a gadget : Google Translate My Page
Josh E.

Allows for easy, one-click translation of your webpage when you syndicate this gadget on your page.

But it seems to leed to :
http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

T Stein [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

When I try this (yesterday and today), I get this message:

Error: The server could not complete your request. Try again later

Not so great for visitors.

Sandeep Gavas [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

"Preview and Try!"

Error: The server could not complete your request. Try again later

Nick A [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I also get the server error message from the JavaScript widget.

Using the translate bar prompt in the new Google Toolbar (almost identical to the new widget), I get the translation successfully.

I noticed the Google Toolbar language detection is a little aggresive. It offers to translate a page that is entirely English except for the phrase "Se Habla EspaƱol".

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> I noticed the Google Toolbar language detection is a little aggresive.

Come to think of, the Toolbar also ignores my browser's language settings, not understanding that I have German in my settings and not just English (and offering me to translate German pages into English).

raten [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

best tool ever which lets u know what a message is availble intheir language
www.rattenads.com

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

This must be an update to their "Translate My Page" gadget which they released last year:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/10/helping-you-break-language-barrier.html

Ironically they're still using it on that blog!

Don Craze [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Probably it is just an update of 'Translate my page' otherwise it should work well with the computer settings in any language.

Chris Gnut [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Google's innovation in the automated translation space is really important for helping website owners reach global audiences. My only concern is that the approach has serious fundamental flaws that will be difficult to correct, and are troubling for website owners, just a few examples:

1) Intrusive Google Brand/Logo – Today Google is branding YOUR site with it's highly visible logo in the pop-up header, talk about free advertising, but tomorrow you may find Google Ads displayed prominently in that section on your site. This is very intrusive to the content owner's web page.

2) No search indexing or page rank – As the data does not reside on your site, there is absolutely no way for it to be indexed by Google, Microsoft, or Yahoo! We can't expect search engines to index foreign content that does not actually exist on our site. This means that your site will be unable to attract organic foreign traffic.

3) No user writing – If you want your foreign users to write information to your webpage (i.e. – post comment) in their native language and allow other users to view that comment in their native language this tool does not support that. This is important when you want users to interact with you or each other in their native language.

4) No quality control – You have no means to influence or control the translation quality on your site. If Google translates a couple of words on your site in a certain way, you are stuck with using Google's translation. This could be a problem for you if they got the translation wrong, which can be the case.

If you own a website and need it to be translated automatically and in real-time, on an ongoing basis, without any of the above issues, I would advise that you look into www.nativetung.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!