Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google de-indexed my site because it criticizes Google

GoogleWaveSucks [PersonRank 0]

Monday, October 5, 2009
14 years ago3,657 views

A couple of days ago I registered the domains GoogleWaveSucks.com and IhateGoogleWave.com and set up a website for GoogleWaveSucks.com which was indexed by Google pretty fast. Today I checked and the site has been de-indexed by Google. First thought was how childish of Google, suppressing criticism of its products (Google Wave in this case). See IhateGoogle.com for an example of this bullying, though that particular site is not de-indexed by Google. Apparently they won’t de-index your site if it becomes popular, since that would obviously expose Google for what it actually is.

But then I thought you'd expect things like this when a search engine becomes a defacto monopoly, AND when in addition it owns multiple other internet-based products besides its’ search engine operations. Google obviously has a vested interest to up/down index or even de-index certain sites.

It's like asking a Mercedes representative to give you an unbiased review of all car brands. Which wouldn't be so bad unless most people are forced (in one way or another) to go to that same guy for that independent assessment. It then becomes like "democratic elections" in China, where the Communist Party advises you that your best bet is to vote for its favorite Communist Party candidate.

Maybe someday this malarkey will be looked upon and regulated by the powers that be.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It's very like you're not seeing your site in Google for completely different reasons (hitting a different data center, or the Google sandbox effect, or your site being connected to spam, etc. etc.).

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The first site appears to be indexed, as far as I can tell. The other domain name currently redirects to the first one, so it would be normal not to index it separately. At any rate, it's normal to see fluctuations like this when a site is new.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> Maybe someday this malarkey will be looked upon and
> regulated by the powers that be.

I can't even imagine how useless the search results would become if the placement was specified by some government-regulated algorithm.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

And you think that posting the same text around the Net will help...

http://app.businessweek.com/UserComments/combo_review?action=getComment&productId=48292&reviewId=532106#532106

14 years ago #

Yahoo:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=GoogleWaveSucks.com&vc=&fr=yfp-t-156&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fp_ip=FI
[0 hits]

Bing:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=GoogleWaveSucks.com&go=&form=QBLH&filt=all
[1 hit]

que [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Google is showing the site as the first result among 4 pages of results. Yahoo and Bing have nothing except for a link to this thread.

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

At least, he might be indexed quicker due to the references here, even if unlinked (I do suspect that the Search Engine now go beyond traditionnal links, and at least index links in plain text (I don't mean give them PageRank, but at least discover them through that way)

14 years ago #

But now Yahoo doesn't find anything again.
Can someone confirm with browser of desktop machine?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!