Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Groups, Killed by Spam?  (View post)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, October 28, 2009
14 years ago8,017 views

So true.

Edward Vielmetti [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I'm still using Yahoo Groups for all of my mailing lists – incredibly old-school but completely functional. I tried to move to Google Groups but there were just a few too many rough edges to make it work.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

*PUBLIC* groups are full of spam (well, not all of them), there are a lot of private groups completely safe.

SE [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

You big a miss point. Google Groups works perfectly for big and small private groups. No spam, no moderation needs. As he says: "There is one area in which Google Groups continues to shine: Private, or restricted, mailing list discussions. However any attempts at using it for a public discussion medium are completely futile."

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

What's worse, they also started including forum discussions in Google Groups results, which is mostly a source of spam and newbies, rarely giving useful answers to difficult questions.

Nemanja [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I also think that Google groups are great for what are they meant for (that is usually private and smaller public groups). Using google groups for such a big public discussion is just plain crazy.

Forums are much easier to protect from the spam, and they are scalable to handle that much traffic. Almost all have rss feeds, and some even have email integration for those who want to keep track what is happening on forum without visiting it.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Google Groups is dead ... and so is Twitter.

Yigal Chamish [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Why Google do not allow rich text editing in Google Groups?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

hey Google Groups .. in PVT mode are just doing fine.. zero spam!!

As for any public groups /forums.. its all over.. show me a public forum that does not get spammed ?

Michael Martinez [PersonRank 5]

14 years ago #

Google took a good service (DejaNews) and turned it into braindead mush but I wouldn't say it's dead. People are still using the service (including me, out of necessity).

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

14 years ago #

More correctly, Google merged DejaNews, which was an archive of the slowly dying Internet Newsgroups concept (not helped by Andrew Cuomo shutting much of it down to build a gubernatorial resume) and combined it with something that more resembles Listserve mailing lists.

I manage a closed list for my condo association and nothing comes close to the ease of use. I do think it's very much on the back burner for Google though since it doesn't help them compete with Twitter, Facebook, Bing or Microsoft (in other areas).

I'd like to see Groups move more in the direction of Ning, where groups of users would have all of Groups current features, plus the ability to spin off into a separate domain, with unique e-mail addresses, etc. It would be a blend of what you can do with Groups and Apps at the moment and they'd need to add a way to pay for extended features. Imagine a group of 20-2million users with some common major interest who need to work together "like a company" but who are in fact not related by geography, finances or even personal friendship... just a common interest in a particular topic (vintage cars, etc.) that they strongly identify with.

Google already has all the "parts" to do something like this, but like many things Google they don't lend themselves to being connected up by public APIs.

Bobby Ewing [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

If smaller sites like JLA FORUMS can control spam then surely Google can do the same.

[Removed URL – Tony]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!