Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Why there ain’t more phones with Android 2.0. And there won’t be soon, if ever

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 5, 2009
14 years ago2,610 views

there is a very interesting theory presented by UnwiredView.com why there r no Android 2.0 Phone out there yet (beside Motorola Droid) .

summery:

With much more advanced and visually appealing Android 2.0 available, and already running on one phone, one would expect other vendors to jump on the bandwagon, and announce Eclair running handsets as soon as they can.

But no, all others, announcing their Android smartphones, for some mysterious reason, are using the old 1.6 Donut version of the OS. Even for the high end models, that will ship only next year, like Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, or other Verizon Droid series handsets, like HTC Eris.

And I think, I know what this reason is.

There simply is no 2.0 version of Android operating system yet. At least in a way, we usually consider a software package to be ready for a version X.0 number.

What we do have as an OS, Google, Motorola and Verizon call Android 2.0 for marketing purposes, is a pre-release/beta version of the software, optimized to run on a single device by a single vendor.

If you think it’s unlikely that Google will give one vendor such a strong preference, to launch a competing device, with a more advanced version of OS, think again.

This is exactly the same thing Google did last year, when they really wanted to get their OS into the market, before the year/holiday season was over. Google worked directly with HTC, optimizing the unfinished operating system to run on a single handset. Then they called it Android 1.0, and launched HTC G1/Dream handset running on it. With tons of unfinished/absent features, bugs and all.

Even Andy Rubin himself admitted, that Android 1.0 wasn’t really a software package worthy of 1.0 tag. Android reached that level only with the release of the Cupcake 1.5/Donut 1.6 updates. That’s when all other vendors felt that the software was actually ready for their phones, and got busy releasing them."

read more here (Source) : http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/11/05/wat-why-all-phones-except-droid-come-with-android-1-6-because-there-is-no-android-2-0-and-there-wont-be-anymore-handsets-with-it/

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

wow i got Rank 10 thats awesome thnx Blogoscoped :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Apparently, the post is bogus:

http://htcsource.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=795&Itemid=50&PHPSESSID=f36917b98eca1a42dc049c471592f117

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

u might be right. but the post already mentioned that

"It’s a pure speculation, based on the stuff he see happening in mobile industry."

and i already said "theory presented"

but i still think Google can do that for marketing presser, its not that much impossible .

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!