Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Interesting CES and my thoughts on internet video

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

Saturday, January 7, 2006
18 years ago

Doc Searls: "Will the video only run on Windows."
Larry: "I think we've not done as good a job as we should. We have a version for Mac that's not downloadable yet. We have some teams working hard on getting the other things ported but they're not out yet."

So at least they admit to have been sluggish about getting their applications ported over to mac and linux. And do seem to be working in that direction.

"Our users and AOL users can message each other. The openness of Google talk ..."

Would like to see more on this. I don't think the two networks can message each other yet. But maybe it means gTalk and AIM users will be able to talk directly instead of a roundabout way.

"iPod and Sony Playstation Portable users will also be able to download and watch any non-copy-protected content from Google Video, and even get it specially optimized for playback on their devices."

Good idea, I definatly see it being done with all the other video services. If it isn't already.

At first I thought what the hell is a google pack going to be good for. But it's actually an easy way to update many programs at once, especially your google suite. And you get the choice of what you opt to install. I would like to see all the downloadable google programs not use their own system tray icon. As well as futher integration of all their products.
   So it seems everyone is developing a pay video service (yahoo, msn, google, apple). How long could it be until all the content providers, the same ones from tv, put there stuff on each one of those video services? And each video service (yahoo, msn, google, apple) becomes a cable/video provider for the internet? I don't profess to know a lot about computers but it seems to make sense to me. I mean it would give the content producers more money but offering to more services. And how long after that, until it is a simple monthly subscription service? Where we choose (if we choose) the internet video/cable provider that suits us. Anyway I see each yahoo, msn, google, and apple providing most of the content you can get on your television soon.
   Another important question: based on the previous paragraph and if this happens think about how much this will piss off the cable providers. I mean if people drop their cable television providers for these new internet ones (if each ends up offering the same content) they will be reduced to being an internet provider. Not only that but these internet services can offer loads more content a la user uploaded videos, indy stuff, etc... And its just a simple step to hook your computer up to your tv. How everything pans out in this new war will be interesting.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Also these new internet video services dont have to be computer based at all but merely connected to the net. I'm guessing we will need to see faster internet conenctions to stream many different "channels" to where you can actually "flip" through your internet channels.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Also, sorry. But would this maybe give way to a more uniform drm between all these companies? With apple, because they have the dominate player, i'd have to say no. But with the others? And if internet companies were the video content providers of the future would microsoft actually be forced to serve video feeds to people on linux? Or release there video application on linux? Especially considering it would give whoever does somewhat of a leg up in that realm.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!