Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How YouTube will move away from 1 user 1 channel

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Monday, November 9, 2009
14 years ago2,373 views

I just noticed this today while creating a new group on YouTube. I'm hopeful that we can finally say goodbye to the one channel per user system. Groups are now channels. I'm not sure if this is new, or if this happened when the YouTube groups 2.0 rolled out, but you cannot have a group with the same identifier as a channel, because it *is* a channel. This means that channels can have more than one uploader, and permissions management, etc. Of course, this functionality is pretty shabby right now, but it looks like things could be moving in a good direction.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Hmm, you're right. I wish it was easier and you could just launch a separate channel under your account but I guess this is our only solution and it works. My only gripe is the terminology used, it could be better than "Group". I think they could have just called them Channels or even Collaborative Channels and made your existing channel one of these Groups or Collaborative Channels by adding the missing features. Since they are making Google Accounts the only method of logging in, it's not like you're going to have to log into YouTube with your old channel details to view your other channels.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Keep in mind, this is the beginning of a shift. If this was the final product, i'd have a lot to complain abut =]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!