Google Blogoscoped

Forum

This Google toilet paper...  (View post)

Prem Sichanugrist [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, November 25, 2009
14 years ago5,378 views

Nope, it's not from Thailand. I'm in this country, and I never see a toilet paper like that in any shelf :)

VeryProfessional [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

The writing on the package is in Vietnamese...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The letters below the logo look more like Vietnamese, anyone with knowledge of this care to explain?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

according to Google's own machine translation, the subtext of this product reads, "Very long, soft, smooth. Of high vacuum, because you always!"

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I'm guessing "Of high vacuum" should be "Very Absorbent"?

Warun K. [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Confirmed with Prem's comment. I haven't see that in Thailand too.

auscompgeek [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Agreed, the writing is Vietnamese, and I know because I have a Vietnamese background :)

ccc [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I am thai and I live in Thailand. I've never seen and known this before.
Look at the alphabet on the package, it is vietnam alphabet.

dave [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

"100% virgin pulp " is a bit worrying – it's clearly seen as classy to be using freshly chopped timber for your toilet paper – in vietnam of all places.

Hans Mast [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I used to live in Thailand and I've visited Vietnam and that's definitely Vietnamese writing. However, I'd often see Vietnamese made and language-d products on Thai shelves, so I don't doubt that someone bought this off the shelf in Thailand. Lots of cheap imports from Vietnam.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Wow, I see that they were careful to label their registered trademark...

Also, I echo the distaste for "100% Virgin Pulp". That's just obnoxious.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

You can be sure that "100% Virgin Pulp" will not mean high-grade fibers that could have been made into writing paper. This toilet paper is probably made from something like sawmill waste.

Basic economics guarantees this.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It's an academic question, but probably not from sawmill waste... there's never enough of that "raw material" for production runs of anything of substance. The only product I ever saw which was made off such waste was the "dog show exhibition litter" (and equivalent), and even that may have been more of a local Scandinavian custom. Most Western toilet paper used to be made from 2nd and 3rd grade pine wood and similar, those too crooked or too small to be of industrial use, sawing up into planks, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad we've settled the genesis of humble toilet paper, one of just a handful of True Achievements of Western Civilization [which, when one examines it closely enough, is nothing but the art of delivering potable water into the stacked beehive-like homes of urban dwellers combined with technology to extract solid and liquid waste products of such habitation. So there.]

Ass Wipe [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

It gives new meaning to the phrase, "I googled it!"

Long Nguyen [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

100% this package come from Viet Nam.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!