Google Blogoscoped

Forum

A Call for Action on Climate Change Published By 56 Newspapers Around the World  (View post)

redhat [PersonRank 1]

Monday, December 7, 2009
14 years ago5,669 views

Why put political crap in a tech blog?

Hank [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Google should stay politically neutral. Google provides great services and has great power and I'd hate to have to switch providers of those services just because I can't trust Google to keep from using it's power to influence people one way or another. Please Bring Back the Politically Neutral Google.

Kurt [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Anything news about this?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100018263/

For me serious enough to say Google goodbye for ever!

Enlightened [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Turning a blind eye on the widely-publicized e-mails which show that climatologists routinely suppressed data which shows no global warming. Just Google "Global Warming Hoax". It's all there for the enlightened to see.

Rob Fuller [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

What does this post have to do with Google?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Hank, this isn't an Official Google blog. Philipp isn't associated with Google, he just reports on it, and only 80% of the time. This is a 20% post, and it shouldn't be a political issue.

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Enlightened, @Kurt:
Right, before you call yourself the "enlightened one" maybe you should check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nnVQ2fROOg

There simply is no Climategate, the claims of forgery are really weak if you look closely.

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Marcin Sochacki

Perhaps, then, the reports of 1200 limos and 140 private planes will give readers pause for thought.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-climate-change-confe/6736517/Copenhagen-climate-summit-1200-limos-140-private-planes-and-caviar-wedges.html

Honestly, these geniuses all claim that I'll save the planet by paying more for electricity, as well as losing some of my freedom, while they make no changes to their own behavior. If they truly believe what they're trying to make us believe, they would act much differently.

Matt [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Um... global warming is not political, it's science. It's backed by peer-reviewed studies by the most knowledgeable people in the field. A recent study has shown agreement about human-induced global warming at 97% among actively researching climatologists. There is no grand conspiracy among thousands of scientists to fake data. How do people believe a grand conspiracy like this could exist? Do they also believe in 9/11 being an inside job? Do they also believe the Holocaust never happened?

http://tigger.uic.edu/~pdoran/012009_Doran_final.pdf

If 97% of brain surgeons you spoke to said you had a brain tumor and they needed to operate immediately, you wouldn't blink an eye before getting on the operating table.

Kurt [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Oh no, Marcin, you misunderstand. I have only a very simple technical question: Why is the word "climategate" (28.000.000 matches), unlike "global warming facts" (18.700.000 matches) and countless other words with much lower match values, not shown in Google's autosuggest function?

Easy question, no? Please, enlighten me. Why can't Google do what Yahoo can?
Please convince me that this is no subtle way of censorship.

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Kurt:
I just entered "clima" in my Firefox Google search bar and the first auto-suggest option is "climate-gate". Same at google.com.

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Trogdor:
I don't know whether the conference will help or not, whether the environmental cost of travel is justified or not.

But, what I was referring to was the suggestion that AGW is a hoax, and that the problem is just some political game. I opposed that, as scientific data and an overwhelming majority of climatologists agree on the pure fact that AGW is happening right now.

That's my concern, and the facts will not change when you suddenly switch the subject to jets/limos at Copenhagen.

Probably the whole impact of the conference is like 0.1% of daily CO2 emissions in the US, so I wouldn't be so worried.

George R [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The story says: "Next time you're in Florida buy two copies."

Won't that kind of waste increase carbon emissions?
The manufacture, printing, and circulating of the extra newspapers also generates heat.

I suggest those 56 newspapers eliminate their hard copy editions.
If they believe their own editorial, they should permanently eliminate their hard copies. If they are only interested in a symbolic gesture, they can eliminate all their hard copies during the next twelve to fourteen days corresponding to the Copenhagen summit.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!