Google Blogoscoped

Forum

google goggles ?  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Monday, December 7, 2009
14 years ago8,893 views

Will this new app become a huge sucess..not only is one feeding of the database, one is also adding to it.. Big advantage to Google!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

big chatter happening on this product.. using Real time search to see what people are chattering about.. Twitter seems to be streaming candidate for real time search!!

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/v/GgcE_EQRpdA?hl=en_US&fs=1

David [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

i just tested google goggles..pretty awesome. recognized almost everything even pictures where buildings are not completely visible like golden gate bridge in fog,... this rocks

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I wonder if they also use your location to help determine what the image might be? If it's a picture of the Golden Gate bridge in fog, it would be neat if they could combine your image with your latitude and longitude coordinates to more accurately identify your picture...

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I wish the iPhone app existed :(

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[moved from "Search By Sight With Google Goggles"]

"Today, at their Search Event in Mountain View, Google demoed a brand new product set to launch in Google Labs: Google Goggles. Humorous name aside, the product looks to be a huge leap forward in the field of visual search — by which I mean, you point a camera at something and Google figures out what it is.

The example that Google VP of Engineering Vic Gundotrashowed on stage involved taking a picture of a particular bottle of wine. When he ran it through Google Goggles, the result showed that the particular bottle has a hint of apricots. You also be able to use Goggles to look up things such as CD covers and bar codes (this is likely similar to the popular Android app ShopSavvy). For text, Google Goggles uses optical character recognition (OCR) to try and read things like logos and labels to aid the search."

Source:http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/07/google-goggles/

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Android is getting some very cool apps lately. I'm seriously considering switching to Android. I think Google Goggles has massive potential.

Above 8 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

glandium [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

It sounds like a snaptell (http://www.snaptell.com/) on steroids

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

You misspelled goggles as googles...

Libran Lover [PersonRank 4]

14 years ago #

I am sure Google will extend this feature out to everyone – non-Android phone users and desktop users – when they think it is robust. Imagine, if they opened it up to all the desktop users right away, there would be hundreds of thousands of photos being uploaded to Google every second from people all over the world. Limiting this to Android users right now gives them a nice limited group of beta testers for now.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> You misspelled goggles as googles...

Oops. Thanks Anonymous, I fixed it in the title and post!

Justin [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Still don't find it on the Market yet

Matt [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Justin – Make sure you're running android 1.6 or newer. This doesn't work on cupcake (and it won't show up in the market if it can't install).
[put at-character here]mbegin – Location is one input into a query, however landmarks can be recognized without the location (or with a 'wrong' location). For example, if I'm near the golden gate bridge, and I take a picture of a photograph of the space needle (in seattle), it should tell me that's the space needle, even if I'm not physically near it.
(I'm an engineer on the goggles team)

Justin [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Matt – Just realized that I'm trying it on HTC Hero. No luck then...till HTC updates Hero to 2.1. Thanks :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"It is our intention to quickly develop Goggles for the most popular mobile handsets and platforms," Google's Katie Watson tells me. "Unfortunately, we don't have a specific timeframe to share.""

http://www.pcworld.com/article/184011/confirmed_google_goggles_will_reach_other_platforms.html

RiyAndroid [PersonRank 8]

14 years ago #

Can't wait for Motorola Milestone . going crazy to use it on Milestone. Google Maps Nav and Goggle is the most brilliant Apps i ever seen .

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"Photographing the cover of a book to then preview the book at Google Books"
Or... you know… you could pick up the book...

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Fantastic application bringing so much convinience to users, and everybody win: users, mobile phone operators and Google.

I would guess it is the extension of face recognition technology.

Justin [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]James – It could be my friend's book and I want to get a copy for myself. Take a photo of the cover and check (with the GPS info from my phone and the inventory data shared by the partner bookstores) which bookstore nearby has stocks for this book.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]James: Or you might want to compare prices or search through the books contents.

[put at-character here]Andy: Misread you last sentence initially and thought it would be overly creepy if google goggles would one day support a face recognition option, which would allow you to snap a photo of a person nearby and get a google profile result.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!