Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New in Google Labs Browser Size  (View post)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, December 16, 2009
14 years ago7,443 views

http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/

http://www.googlelabs.com/show_details?app_key=agtnbGFiczIwLXd3d3IVCxIMTGFic0FwcE1vZGVsGPv7gAEM
<<Ever wondered what parts of your site can't be without scrolling? Browser Size shows you what portion of users can see a give spot on the screen. This is not screen resolution but the area available to the browser – as gathered from www.google.com users.>>

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I don't understand what is this about.
And when I enter an URL, I get "Error establishing a database connection"

Manoj Nahar [PersonRank 4]

14 years ago #

browsersize.googlelabs.com/

You can even add website in the URL box and area of website visible to users without scrolling will be super imposed on the website.

Neat Tool

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

What are the percentages? This needs better explaining, I have no idea what I'm looking at...

Manoj Nahar [PersonRank 4]

14 years ago #

Percentages are percentage of users who will see the areas of the website without scrolling.

For example innermost line says 99% that means for 99% the user areas under that line will be visible without horizontal or vertical scrolling.

This is due to different screen sizes and screen resolutions.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

shouldn't the lines be straight then...

Above 6 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Lea de Groot [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Now this would be nice if it were wrapped into Analytics, so you could see it against your own stats!

I think if they reversed the numbers (ie 1%, 2%..) it would be a lot more intuitive.

Fuzzie [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

This is a nifty idea but the execution is flawed.

First of all, the image overlayed assumes that the website's design has a left alignment, but most websites (this one included) has a center alignment. This can be fixed by making the percentages grow from the center instead of the top-left edge as an option.

Second of all the image tiles, and on my resolution (1920x1080) which is too wide for the overlay, and all the percentages on the left is repeated again beyond the image's edge. Also, fixable by making the image non-repeating.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> shouldn't the lines be straight then...

No, because not everybody uses browser windows with the same ratio. So some might have their windows set to 800 x 400 whereas others might use 750 x 400 or 800 x 450... so the lines show a contour based on all these stats combined.

As Lea de Groot says above, it would be neat if this information could be somehow hooked into Google Analytics to compare your website against your visitors stats. However, Google Analytics currently only includes screen resolution rather than available size in the browser window so that wouldn't be possible.

Nirav [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

This is good till site has fixed layout or only left alignment. Fails when site has liquid or elastic layout.

Fails on the www.google.com itself :)

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2009/12/introducing-google-browser-size.html

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

There's a better tool to do this (Firefox extension called "Resize Window").

Yet another example of Google pretends to be innovative but only does something that already exists.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> There's a better tool to do this (Firefox extension called
> "Resize Window").

That only allows you to resize your browser window. It doesn't show you how many visitors would be able to see different parts of your page based on their browser window size. (Although, as has already been mentioned, this tool only uses stats from Google.com rather that your own website...)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!