Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Storm 2 BlackBerries Switched to Bing  (View post)

Blackberrie is dead [PersonRank 0]

Monday, December 21, 2009
14 years ago5,231 views

no exchange, no free choise of search engine, ...dead dead dead

Runaway1956 [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

The customer has NO CHOICE??? I'd be learning how to jailbreak the blasted things. Bing is my last choice of search engine, and it ain't happening on anything that I own. I don't care how badly some executive needs a vacation in the Bahamas, he doesn't get it if he's depending on me.

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

who cares, dont use Blackberries use only Android

Veky [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The sole problem is the word "only". Set the default on whatever you want, but if people can't change it, they won't use it. Unlike word processing and spreadsheets, where you can enforce lockin via file formats, you can't really force someone to use a search engine.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Another reason not to buy a phone that's tied to carrier-mandated firmware.

DeSalvionjr [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

I can see it now, people will be wondering why their GOOGLE BACKED droid wont work with google...

Matthew Pegler [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

Bawwwwww..... if you choose a phone, you agree to the carrier's rules. if they are able to make $500M over making you click 2 times instead of 1, then that is fine.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

On the iPhone you can't choose Bing for the search provider in MobileSafari. Only Google and Yahoo (and it defaults to Google).

No one seems annoyed about this.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Sam
Because 95% of people use Google?
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_search_engine-ww-weekly-200852-200950

Admittedly this isn't an excuse for it, but it's the reason no one's complaining. Nintendo Wii also only offers those two options.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Another reason to dump Verizon following this one http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/business/13digi.html?_r=2&emc=eta1

geck0man [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Don't use their browser. Install Opera Mini and get access to Google search. Done and done.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!