Google Blogoscoped

Forum

what's the google way to host/upload large files and music  (View post)

Don Spark [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, January 5, 2010
14 years ago9,551 views

What's the google way to host/upload large files and high quality music files? My DJ friend is building a website using blogger. Google owns so many web application spaces like docs, picasa, sites, youtube and much more. There must be a more google-like approach to integrating big files and music into a blogger account. I don't know what the file size or account limits are on blogger. One extreme scenario would be an uncompressed CD length DJ mix of 800 megabytes...probably not downloaded many times so bandwidth is not the big issue. THANKS!

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Pace [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Screw That! Use BitTorrent.

Tyler Murphy [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Hopefully one day Google will make a service like Dropbox where you can upload any type of a file to a virtual drive. For a file that big though, I think making a torrent of the file might be one of the best ways: http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-create-a-torrent/
I think a lot of people know how to download torrents nowadays, so it shouldn't be too confusing for the people visiting his site.

Or he could use a website like MediaFire, MegaUpload, or Rapidshare, but those sites have limits and will make people wait a minute or so to download the file.

Greg Linden [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Maybe Amazon S3?

Ramine Darabiha [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Have you tried MySites.com? There's unlimited storage for any file type, and they give embeddable players for the videos and music.

Hope that helps.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Music is big on copyright bullshit so Google has been shy when it comes to that =[

P.Sperling [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Wuala (drop it to public files, no additional software needed) or BitTorrent.

Dries Bultynck [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Drop it on http://soundcloud.com – I think you have like 2 hours (playtime for music) for upload and can easely integrated into blogger with the simple widget code. Great stuff! tracks clicks and uses comment possibility in the timeline.

Ervin [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Come on guys, BitTorrent is only an internet protocol. You still need at least one seeder who hosts the files.

BTW the question was how one can use Google services to host audio files.

I suggest converting them to videos (by adding the album cover picture or a logo to the tracks, for example) then uploading to either picasaweb or youtube. Both have 1 Gb file limit and expandable storage. Google will recompress the audio, though, AFAIK.

Michael [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I know he is looking for Google's way. Which would be Google sites I believe. But Amazon S3 is the best at the moment for hosting these kinds of files for web sites.
http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Although I know the torrent protocol isn't google's, I would say it fits google's idealogy and it would probably 'google's way'. Personally I wouldn't be suprised if google will someday come with a p2p player or maybe even a p2p alternative to the http protocol.

Scott [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Get a drop box account and install the software. Its lightweight dont worry. It will install a couple folders in a location that you specify. One of the folders will be a public folder. You can upload up to 2 gb with a free account (more if you pay).

Once its in the public folder you right click the file -->dropbox-->copy public link.You can then paste that link in your blog or emails and the receiver simply clicks on it to begin the transfer.

I have found it works best with zip files, although as long as your user knows the "save link as" function of most browsers, any file will work.

I hope this was helpful, I personally think its great functionality.

abhishek [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Its great functionality. I hope it will move further to enhance service.

I have a small blog for comics , people upload comics and I spred their download links.
If google can provide hosting for these comics , it will be easy to share.
We can use goo.gl for shortening the url.

My blog www.rajcomicscollection.blogspot.com

Tom [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

A perfect use for Amazon S3... Easy to integrate, really inexpensive, reliable, and responsive, too.

terrac [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Soundcloud is the new website for aritsts. You can upload 5 audio files at a time for free (even full length DJ sets, the site is for artists) and more if you pay.

Allows people to play the music from the page, or download if you let them.

Don Spark [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Thanks for all the great responses! I guess there are lots of ways to interpret "the google way". (Apple-like is lots easier to understand a usability). What I meant was fundamentally "the smartest all around approach" for the regular person on a budget: a combination of low or no coast, nearly the best performance, nearly the easiest but surely a company and approach that will survive for a long time so I won't have to hassle with moving thing around in a year or three.

I completely support and appreciate the bittorrent/p2p thinking and politics and would prefer to eliminate the middle-man(google) from our collective internet. I just don't see how. I want to put up 100 files into the cloud this year that no one my have an interest in seeding. What is the protocol for me making this happen without making it a hobby?

I know this was not a formal vote but here are the numbers on your responses so far on what you all recommend:

3 Amazon S3
2 bittorrent/p2p
2 dropbox
2 soundcloud.com
1 MySites.com
1 Wuala
1 picasaweb
1 youtube

Robert [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

SnickityBit.com has an Outlook add-in that allows uploading any file type/size to Google Docs.

A [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

bandcamp.com

Reid [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I'll add another vote to the public folder in Dropbox. I'm kind of amazed that they haven't cut it off yet, but I've hosted plenty of stuff on the public folder with no problems and extremely quick downloads.

Bastian [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

A hand more for Soundcloud. Its meant for sharing Music

For sharing Files S3 wouldn't be bad.

To have good order and fast Control over the Files spanned across multiple Worksations dropbox (Referal link thx. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE5NTYzMTY5 is great)

StarrWulfe [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I'd try www.drop.io to host the files. You get embedable players for audio and video, and there's no need to convert the formats; the server does it automatically.

Also check out www.posterous.com. They host and post your audio/video/pix to blogger,Flickr, Facebook, YouTube, and more.

martin english [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

+1 for Amazon S3. Depending on your technical confidence, you might also consider their Cloudnet product to improve response outside the continental US.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!