Google Blogoscoped

Forum

'You've Got Gmail'

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, January 11, 2006
18 years ago

when you install Gmail's notifier, you end up with some standard sound. which I cannot find now, btw.

My point is, can Google do a default sounder like AOL's?

'You've got Gmail.'

Couldn't they get that done with AOL? My station (CNET Radio) once interviewed that fellow, who did the voice. Guess he has been compensated rather well.

The voice is that of a guy by the name of Elwood Edwards, who does professional voice-overs. (Presumably he was doing these before becoming anonymously famous, but since his identity has become public, he's apparently getting quite a bit of work.)

Back in the old days, before AOL released version 1.0 of their software, Edwards – a friend of an AOL employee – recorded the "Welcome," "File's Done," "Goodbye," and the grammatically inadequate "You've Got Mail" sounds for the company.

Edwards remained mostly unknown until Wired Magazine – in their forum on AOL – revealed his identity in 1995, as well as providing users several gag sounds, recorded by Edwards, which they could use to replace the familiar voiceovers. News reports announcing AOL's celebrity "Welcome" promotion early this year further publicized Edwards' contribution to American pop culture... such as it is.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

AFAIK in Germany, the "You've got mail" voice is female... she says "Sie haben Post."

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!